단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄
전국여선교회연합회 nnkumw.org
logo 전국연합회 임원 수련회 특집 

전국연합회 임원 수련회를 마치고

새해를 맞아 1월24일에서 26일까지 뉴욕 후러싱 제일교회에서 한인 여선교회 전국연합회  임원 수련회가 열렸다. 미국 각 지역에서 바쁜 일들, 하던 일들을 다 제쳐두고 이곳으로 달려온 그 힘은 찬양 가사 “주를 향한 우리의 꺼지지 않는 그 노래”처럼 간절하고 뜨거운 주님에 대한 사랑이었을 것이다.

이성은 회장님의 하나님에 대한 신뢰와 순종의 메시지는 가난한 과부의 마지막 기름한 병을 순종의 그릇마다 채우시는 하나님의 놀라운 역사를 보여주셨다. 신뢰하고 순종하는 자에게 임하시는 그 하나님! 우리는 신뢰하는 만큼 순종할 수 있다. 이에 대한 그림이 그다음 날 서커스의 공연에서 다시 한번 확인되었다. 공중그네 묘기에서 날아가는 사람이 힘을 온전히 빼야만 잡아주는 사람이 제대로 잡을 수 있는 것을 보았다. 완전히 힘을 뺀다는 것은 그만큼 신뢰하는 것이리라. 우리는 우리의 약함과 불완전함을 온전히 주님께 맡기고 공중서커스를 하는 것처럼 자유롭게 나를 주님께 드릴 수 있을까?

둘째 날의 이경신 장로님의 약속을 지키시는 신실한 하나님을 장터에서 부르신 일꾼들의 비유에서 배웠다. 이른 시간에 온 사람들이, 같은 보수를 받는 늦은 시간에 온 사람들에 대해  약속을 지키시는 하나님의 처우에 감사할 수 있을 것인가? 하나님의 목적은 일이 아니라 사람을 살리는 것이었다. 세상의 경제관으로는 불공평하지만, 하나님의 기준으로는 공평한 것이었다. 우리의 기준으로 어처구니없는 주님의 불공평한 사랑에 때로는 화가 나고, 불이익을 당한 것처럼 불평하지 않는가? 내가 이웃에게 향한 사랑이 하나님에 대한 사랑의 척도라면 정말 나는 하나님을 제대로 사랑하는지 다시 생각해볼 일이다. 잃은 영혼에 대한 긍휼과 자비가 나는 얼마나 있나를 내내 생각하며 부끄러운 시간이었다. “연탄재 함부로 차지 마라. 너는 누구에게 한 번이라도 뜨거운 사람이었느냐? “ 도종환 시를 외며 모두 다 머리를 끄덕이는 순간을 가졌다.

2박 3일의 기간 동안 매시간 알찬 모임이 준비되어 있었다. 찬양의 은혜와 몸으로 주님을 찬양하는 바디워십으로 또 즐거운 게임으로 바쁜 우리의 맘들을 주님을 향해 활짝 열 수 있었다. 각 연합회의 활동 보고를 들으며, 큰 지역에서의 활발한 섬김과 활동들이 참 자랑스러웠고, 아직 규모가 작은 연합회에서도 여전히 큰 사랑으로 최선을 다하시는 모습들이 참 가슴에 닿았다. 이성옥 부국장님께서 오셔서, 연합감리교회 여선교회가 현 감리교단 상황에서 어떤 자리에 있는지, 또 앞으로의 미션과 비전에 대해서 말씀하시고, 질문에도 대답해 주셨다. 또 존 헤네시가 쓴 “어른은 어떻게 성장하는가”의 책을 미리 읽고 와서 함께 토론하는 시간을 가졌는데, 진정한 리더로서 어떤 자세를 가져야 하는지 많은 도움을 받았다.

또 연합회에서 지원하는 선교지인 몽골, 카자흐스탄의 선교 보고를 들었다. 특히 몽골에서 은퇴하신 김선례 선교사의 이야기는 가슴을 뭉클하게 만들었다.  27년의 세월 동안 러시아, 그리고 대부분 몽골에서 몸과 마음을 다 바쳐, 어린이들과 농아, 노숙자들을 위한 사역을 하시고, 일대일 제자양육, 세미나, 성경 공부, 예배를 통해서 말씀을 전하고 다니신 수많은 발걸음을 상상해보았다. 현재 몸이 종합병원처럼 아프지 않으신 곳이 없이 한국에서 요양 중이시란다. 그러나 몸이 회복되면 다시 한국에 있는 몽골인들을 위해서 사역을 시작하신다고 기다리신다니...  아, 그 끝없는 주를 향한 꺼지지 않는 그 사랑이 가슴 깊이 울려왔다.

김동석 상임이사님께서 입양아 시민권법안을 통과시키기 위해서 뛰어다니시는 그 모습을 보았다. 40살이 된 그 세대의 입양아들이 시민권 없이 한국으로 추방된 후, 그 어느 곳에서도 적응치 못하고 방황하는 부서진 삶의 모습을 들었다. 만약 입양아들의 이 문제가 해결하지 않으면 어떻게 하나님께서 살아계신 것을 믿을 수 있는가 절규하는 한 입양아 어른의 이야기를 들으며 김동석 상임이사님은 하나님의 신뢰하는 편에 섰다. 그들의 슬픔과 고통을 가슴에 안고, 오직 주님을 신뢰하며 대신 그들을 대변하는 자리에 섰다.

그렇다! 우리가 여선교회로 부르심을 받은 것은 진정 주님을 신뢰하고, 주님의 뜻을 따르기로 결단하는 것이다. 주님의 뜻은 주님을 사랑하는 것인데, 그것은 바로 우리 곁에 있는 그리고 어딘가에 하나님께서 마음 아프게 보고 계신 그 대상을 향해 하나님의 마음, 아버지의 마음이 되어 그의 삶의 자리에 함께 서는 것일 것이다.  새로 지역회의 회장이 되어 이 년간 어떻게 감당을 할까 두려움이 컸는데, 이번 전국 임원 수련회를 통해서 주님 앞에 작은 그릇이 되어 내려놓을 때 가득 채우시는 주님을 바라보며 새로운 용기와 소망을 얻었다.

“ 이번 수련회를 위해 준비하시느라 큰 수고를 하신 김명래 총무님, 권오연 이벤트 코디네이터님, 안 보이는 곳에서 애쓰신 뉴욕 연회의 임원님들, 프로그램 순서들을 맡아 정성껏 준비하신 모든 분들.... 그 땀과 수고와 시간으로 인해 저희가 새해를 맞을 은혜와 감동을 맘에 가득 채우고 갑니다. 일 년 후 다시 만나 서로의 주님 사랑 이야기를 나눌 그 시간을 기다리며, 저의 작은 그릇을 소중히 가지고 갑니다. 감사합니다!“

(글: 김지영 권사, 뉴잉글랜드 연회 한인 여선교회 연합회 회장, 북부 보스톤KUMC)

After NNKUMw Officers Retreat

Celebrating the new year, the NNKUMw Officers Retreat was held at the First United Methodist Church in Flushing, NY from January 24-26. Just like the praise song lyrics “the never-ending song for the Lord,” our strong and dedicated love for Christ were the driving forces of coming together from all around the nation amidst our busy lives.

President Grace Pyen’s message on trust and obedience for God was about His amazing work of filling up all the oil jars of the poor widow according to the obedience she showed by giving the final drops. Our God–who works to those who trust and obey! Our obedience comes from trust. This was depicted at the circus acrobatics show on the next day; we saw how the flying trapeze artist must completely loosen up for a proper catch. To be able to completely loosen up must mean that he or she totally trusts the partner. Can I freely surrender myself to the Lord like in acrobatics, surrendering my weaknesses and imperfections?

On the second day, we learned about God’s faithfulness from Kay S. Ree’s bible study about servants being paid for their wages. How could those who had come early be thankful about God keeping the same wages for those who came late? God’s focus was not about the work but saving lives. It was unfair according to the world’s dynamics, but fair according to God’s standards. Don’t we all get frustrated about God’s unfair love and complain about feeling disadvantaged? If my love for my neighbors is a measurement of love for God, I need to think again whether my love for Him is true. The session was a time of shamefully examining my lack of mercy and compassion toward the lost souls. We all nodded in agreement to an excerpt of JongHwan Do’s poem, “Do not mistreat the coal ashes–have you ever burnt yourself so passionately for someone?”

Each time throughout the two nights and three days was prepared with meaningful sessions. We were able to open up our busy hearts wide for God as we praised Him through body worship and played fun games together. As we listened to each network’s ministry report, we were proud of the active service and ministries happening in the big locations, as well as touched by the efforts and great love of all the yet smaller networks. Sung-Ok Lee, Connection Officer, United Methodist Women came and talked about our Unitrd Methodist Women's position in the current situations for the United Methodist Denomination, our future mission and vision, along with a Q&A. We also had a time of discussion on the book “Leading Matters” by John Hennessy, in which we learned a lot about the attitude of a true leader.

We also listened to mission reports on our supporting countries, Mongolia and Kazakhstan. We were especially touched by the story of now retired Mongolia Missionary SunRye Kim. I imagined the countless footsteps of her journey of dedication to Russia and Mongolia for 27 years, ministering to children, deaf people and homeless, and sharing God’s Word through individual discipleship training, seminars, Bible studies, and worship. She is currently in treatment in a hospital in Korea, as she is ill everywhere in her body. Hearing that she is eagerly waiting for recovery to get started on ministering to Mongolians in Korea… her endlessly burning love for Christ deeply resonated within me.

We witnessed Dong Suk Lee(Executive Director, Korean American Grassroot Conference, KAGC)’s tireless efforts to pass the bill about citizenship for people who have been adopted. We heard about a heartbreaking story of a 40 year-old man, adopted while young and then exiled to Korea without citizenship, who was aimlessly wandering and lost, being unable to adapt to neither cultures. Touched by the father’s cry, who was also adopted, desperately asking how can one believe that God lives if his son’s problem was not to be resolved, Dong Suk Lee stood on the side of trusting God, embracing their stories and pain, only trusting God and being their voice.

Yes, we are called to KUMW to truly trust the Lord and dedicate ourselves in following God’s will. God’s will for us is to love Him, which means we take on the Father’s heart to stand alongside those whom He has mercy on. I was worried about my new role as the president of a New England conference KUMw network for the next two years; through this national officers retreat, I obtained new courage and hope as I look toward Christ, who fills me up when I empty myself and surrender to Him.
To MyungRae Lee, Ohyeun Lee, those who served in the New York Network, everyone who got together to pull the event, thanks to your efforts, service and time, we leave with hearts full of blessings and grace for the new year. Looking forward to next year when we can unwrap and share more stories our love for God, I carry my small jar with me. Thank you!

(Written by Jin Kim, President of New England Conference KUMw Network, N Boston KUMC)

“어른은 어떻게 성장하는가”
(전국연합회 임원 수련회 프로그램 중 이 책을 미리 읽고 와서 토론하는 시간을 가졌다:편집자 주)
세상의 많은 부와 권력을 가진 최고의 지성적인 사람의 리더쉽 이야기는 때로는 제게 너무 멀게 느껴져 큰 감동을 받지 못할 때가 있습니다.  그러나 존 헤네시의 이 책은 여선교회 한 지역의 리더로서, 한 가정의 아내와 엄마로서  잔잔한 감동을 받을 수 있었습니다. 
저자가  저술한  10가지 리더쉽은 겸손, 진정성, 봉사, 공감, 용기, 협업, 혁신, 지적 호기심,  스토리 텔링, 유산입니다. 저자는 겸손이야말로 진정한 자신감을 얻을 수 있는 수단이라고 말하며, 용기나 결단은 리더로서 개발하고 체득하고 숙달시켜야 한다고 합니다.

또한 오늘날과 같은 인공지능 시대에는  로봇이나 앱이 할 수 없는 인간만이 제공할 수 있는 인간적 요소, 즉 정서적 유대와 보살핌,  진정성을 가지고 타인에게 공감하며 봉사하는 리더가 더욱 필요함을 강조합니다.
어려울 때 일수록 내가 속한 조직의 사명이 무엇인가를 확실히 인식 해야 하며,  옳고 그름을 분별하여 행동하고, 조직을 위해 나설  때는 개인적으로는 두렵고, 긴장되어도 그 책무를 위해 확신을 가지고 나설 수 있는 용기를  내야 한다고 저자는 말하고 있습니다.
헤네시가 말하는 10가지 리더쉽의 덕목은 세상의 성공한 사람들이 흔히들 말하는 리더쉽 중의 여러 가지들이 포함되어 있지만 좀 더 강조되는 것은  겸손과 봉사, 공감 입니다.  이것은 우리 크리스천들이 가장 기본적으로 갖춰야 할 덕목임을 알고 있기에 이 책을 읽어 가면서 하나님의 제자로서 내가 지내온 시간을 돌아볼 수 있었고, 나 자신을  하나님 말씀에 비추어 보는 시간을 갖게 하였습니다.  더군다나 요즘처럼 교단의 분열 때문에 많은 성도, 목사님들조차 흔들리고 있는 때에  하나님 말씀으로 잘 분별하고 겸손하게 그리고 용기있게  행동해야 겠다는 도전을 받았습니다.

이 땅에 가장 낮은 곳으로 오신 주님의 모습은 그 무엇과도 비교할 수 없는 겸손을 보여주셨습니다.   소외된 이들,  가난하고 병든 자들을 향한 주님의  긍휼한 마음은 진정한 공감의 마음 없이는 행할 수 없는 것입니다.  십자가에 달리시기까지 우리를 사랑하시는 마음에는 가장 큰 용기와 우리에게도 각자의 십자가를 지고 갈 수 있는 사랑의 유산을 남겨 주셨습니다.  혼돈의 시대이고 분별이 필요한 시대이지만 주님과 함께라면 두려움 없이 강하고 담대하게, 무엇보다도 겸손한 자세로 기쁘게 살아갈 수 있음을 새삼 깨닫습니다.

사람아 주께서 선한 것이 무엇임을 네게 보이셨나니 여호와께서 네게 구하시는 것은 오직 정의를 행하며 인자를 사랑하며 겸손하게 네 하나님과 함께 행하는 것이 아니냐  미6:8
(글: 이정숙 권사, 남가주 연회 한인여선교회 연합회 회장, 벤나이스 교회)

“Leading Matters: Lessons from My Journey”
(We had a debate & discussion session at the National Network Officer’s Retreat, with everyone having read it beforehand)

I was rarely touched by leadership stories of intellectuals with all the riches and power, since such stories felt too distant. But this book by John Hennessy touched my heart as the leader of a KUMw Network, as well as the wife and mother of a family.

The author talks about 10 aspects of leadership: humility, authenticity, service, empathy, courage, coordination, intellectual curiosity, storytelling, and legacy. He emphasizes that humility is the best way to earn true confidence; and a leader must develop, acquire, and improve one’s humility just like courage or dedication.

He also emphasizes that leaders with human qualities–empathy and service, emotional bond and care, authenticity–as such things cannot be done by robots or applications at this age of artificial intelligence.

He writes that a leader, especially in times of trouble, must surely detect the vision of the organization, act with distinguishing what’s right or wrong, and responsively stand up though it may be personally anxious and scary.

Hennessy’s 10 aspects of leadership consist of things other successful people commonly say about leadership, yet puts more emphasis on humility, service, and empathy. Since these attributes are foundational qualities to have a Christian, I was able to reflect on my past as the  disciple of Jesus as well as reflect on myself to God’s Word. Especially in current times when many members of the church and even pastors are being shaken due to the conflicts regarding the denomination’s separation, I was more motivated and challenged to be awake in the Word and to act with humility and courage.

Jesus Christ Himself demonstrated incomparable humility when He came to the lowest place on earth. His heart of mercy toward those who were segregated, poor and ill would not have been possible without true heart of empathy. His love for us shown on the cross has left us with a legacy to have the love and courage to carry our each own cross. In times of chaos and confusion like today, I learn that I do not have to worry but be strong and courageous, and particularly live a joyful life of humility when Christ is with me.

He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

(Written by Anne Lee, President of Cal-Pacific Conference KUMw Network)

“사진으로 보는 전국연합회 임원 수련회”  

logo 북조지아 연회 한인여선교회 연합회 신년맞이예배

사진으로 보는 전국훈련

2월의 첫 주일 오후, 북조지아 연회의 한인감리교회 여선교회 회원들이 모였다. 전국연합회 임원 수련회로 미뤄졌던 신년맞이 예배를 위해서 가까이 또 멀리서 반가운 얼굴들이 모였다.

아틀란타 한인교회 금요여성 예배의 찬양팀의 힘찬 찬양으로 시작된 예배는 한인교회 김희란 전도사님의 오직 하나님의 말씀으로 무장하고 다음 세대를 준비하고 양육하는 북조지아 연회 한인여선교회 연합회가 되어달라는 당부의 설교 말씀으로 이어졌다.

김매리안 사모의 2019년 연합회 활동 보고와 2020년 전국연합회 임원 수련회에 대한 보고가 있었고 회계 보고를 통해 2019년 동안 열심히 선교 기금을 마련해주신 회원 여러분께 감사와 치하를 보내는 시간을 가지고 2020년도에도 더 열심히 선교비 모금을 위해 노력할 것을 다짐하였다.

2020년 새로 선출된 임원들의 소개하는 시간에 이어 새로 회장직 맡으신  피경옥 권사의 인사와 다짐을 전하는 시간을 갖고 북조지아 연회 한인 코오디네이터인 반혜진 권사가 미국 여선교회와 한인여선교회 전국연합회 그리고 각 교회의 여선교회가 연계되어 동역하는 선교와 프로그램을 소개하는 시간으로 이어졌다.
모두 바쁜 주일 오후였지만 40여 명의 북조지아 연회 한인여선교회 회원들이 모여 2019년을 돌아보고 서로 응원하며 2020년 선교의 힘찬 발걸음을 내딛는 뜻깊은 시간을 가졌다.
(글: 반혜진 권사, 북조지아 연회 한인코오디네이터, 아틀란타한인교회)

N. GA KUMW Conference KUMwNetwork  2020 New Year Service
On the Superbowl Sunday when everyone was getting ready for the big game, members of N. Georgia Conference  KUMw gathered to start off the new year with excitement and strong vision for missions.

Over 40 members all around N. Georgia gathered to greet one another with a smile. The KCA(Korean Church of Atlanta)’s Friday Women’s Worship Praise Team started the worship followed by Pastor Heeran Kim’s sermon, during which she encouraged the members to be strongly equipped with God’s Word, raising and preparing the next generation in prayer and the Word. Marian Kim reported how Conference supported NNKUMw missions in 2019 and new visions for 2020.

We thanked the Leadership team for their service for the last two years, then introduced and welcomed the new leaders. Mrs. Kyoung Ok Pi, as the new President of N. GA Conf.KUMw Network shared her vision for the new year and encouraged the members to pray and actively participate in the Conference activities. Haejin Ban, the N. GA Korean Language Coordinator, explained the connection with UMW, NNKUMw  and local units. Haejin shared the UMW programs like Limitless, Mission u and local Social action projects in N. GA Conf.
It was a heartwarming gathering of women all with the same vision to serve God and our neighbors.
(written by Haejin Ban, Korean Language Coordinator, N. GA Conf.Korean Church of Atlanta)

logo 뉴욕 연회 한인여선교회 연합회 임원 수련회와 사진으로 보는 새해맞이 예배

뉴욕 연회 한인여선교회 연합회는 2020년 1월 11일 오전 9시부터 오후 3시까지 임원 수련회및 임원회를 김순덕 회장 댁에서 가졌다. 뉴욕 연합회 임원 수련회는 해마다 연말에 하루나 1박 2일로 한 해를 마무리하며 감사드리고, 수고한 임원들이 함께 모여 서로 용기도 주며 위로와 함께 친목도 하고 새로 오는 한해를 주님의 사랑과 은혜 속에 소망을 가지고 한 해를 계획하는 시간이다.

우리  연합회 임원들은 뉴욕 연회에 있는 한인 교회 약 10여 교회가 함께 연합하여 협력하여 사역을 하고 있는데 올해는 새로 들어온 임원도 여러 명 있고 또 오랜 세월 동안 함께 일해온 임원들도 많다. 이렇게 서로 연륜이 다른 임원들이 모여 함께 일하기에  더 조화를 이루고 아름다운 것 같다.

개회 예배와 영적 성장을 위한 공부는 권오연 영성 부장님의 인도로 팀 켈러의 책 “복음과 삶” 이라는 책을 가지고 우리들 각자 자신의 영적인 삶을 좀 더 깊게 들여다볼 수 있었던 귀한 시간이였다. 그러나 계획한 시간보다 시간이 오래 걸려서 그냥 끝내는 것보다 다음 임원회 때도 회의만 하지 말고 이 책을 좀 더 깊이 공부 할 수 있도록 하자고 의견을 모았다.

맛있는 점심시간, 그리고 임원들 사이에 좀 더 잘 알아가고 서로의 관계를 더욱 돈독해 하기 위하여 자기의  달란트나 잘하는 한 가지를 이야기하는 시간도 가졌다. 그리고 김명래 전도사의 “한국에 파송된 미국 감리교회 여선교사” 역사를 통해서 그분들의 헌신과 사랑을 기억하며 오늘 우리가 그 정신을 이어 받은 KUMW 임원으로써 우리에게 주어진 사명을 기쁘게 감당하며 서로 새로운 비전으로 맡겨진 선교 사역을 감당하기로 결단하는 시간도 가졌다.

뉴욕 연합회는 오래전부터 임원 수련회때  그동안 읽은 책들을 가지고 와서 “책 바꾸어 읽기”를 하여 여러 책을 읽도록 하고 있다. 언제나 임원 수련회에 임원이 아닌 개체교회 여선교회분들을  초대하고 있는데 올해도 세분이 참석하였다. 그리고 새해맞이 예배를 준비하는 임원회를 마치고 회장님이 정성스럽게 준비해 준 선물도 하나씩  받고 집으로 돌아왔다.

그동안 연합회 카톡방에 서로가 좋은 글들을 나누며 힘들 때나 좋을 때나 서로 위로하며 지내왔는데 새해에도 우리 임원들은 “주님이 찾으시는 한 사람 “ 그리고 피천득 시인의 “비와 인생” 의 마지막 부분에 나오는 “한사람이 또 한 사람에게 우산을 내어 줄 때 또 한 사람은 세상의  단비가 됩니다” 라는 귀절처럼 우리도 서로 우산을 나눠 쓰며 주님이 찾으시는 그 한사람이 되기를  다시 한번 다짐하며 돌아오는 시간이 되었다. 비록 짧은 시간이었지만 알찬 하루를 보냄에 감사드리며 한 해 동안 수고하신 모든 임원분 그리고 임원 수련회를 정성껏  준비하신 여러분들과 회장님께 감사드린다.
(글: 임성혜 권사, 뉴욕 연회 한인여선교회 연합회 홍보 출판부장, 뉴욕한인교회)

New York Conference KUMw Network Officers  Retreat

The New York Conference KUMw Network held its officers retreat and meeting on January 11, 2020 from 9am to 3pm at president Dorothy Kim’s house. The New York Conference officers meet for a day or two for a retreat, which occurs usually around the end of every year. It is a time of fellowship as we gather together to wrap up the year, give thanks, encourage, reassure one another and plan for a new year with hope in God’s love and grace.

Our conference officers are from around 10 different Korean churches in the New York conference region, having been uniting and cooperating together in doing ministries. There are offices who have been working together for a long time in the team; this year we are pleased to have several new members joining us for the first time. Network officers work together across different ages, which I think adds a more diverse and colorful spirit to the team.

The opening service and spiritual growth study led by Ohyeun Lee on Tim Keller’s book “Gospel in Life”  invited us to deeply examine and reflect each of our spiritual lives. The study took a longer time than we had expected; so rather than just rushing it, we decided to invest more time in studying the book again at our next meeting.

We had a great time of lunch fellowship, getting to know more about one another and increasing our intimacy, as each shared her talent or positive trait. As Myungrae Lee talked through the history of “Women Missionaries of UMW Sent to Korea,” we remembered the sacrifice and love of those women, committing to take on our calling with joy and dedicating ourselves to the mission ministries newly given to us.

New York Conference KUMw Network has been practicing a tradition of a “book exchange” in which members exchange books that they have read among one another to expose everyone to different books. We’ve been inviting non-officer KUMw members from local churches to the retreat; 3 people came this year. We all returned home with a heartwarming gift prepared by president Dorothy Kim.
We have been encouraging and reassuring one another in our conference network group chat, sharing quotes and articles. This year, our staff shared “The one whom Christ seeks for,” and lines from Poet Chun-deuk Pi’s poem “Rain and Life” saying, “When one person offers an umbrella to another, that another person becomes a sweet rain for the world.” Like these words, we all reaffirmed our commitment to share our umbrella with each other and be the person whom God seeks. I thank all the officers for their service in the past year as well as Dorothy Kim and everyone who prepared for this short yet fully packed, blessed time of retreat.
(Written by Sunghye Rhim, Communication Coordinator of NY Conference KUMw network)

logo 북일리노이 연회 한인여선교회 연합회 헌신예배

시카고 지역이 속한 북일리노이 연회 한인여선교회 연합회 헌신예배가 지난  2월 9일(주일) 오후 4시에 시카고 한인 제일 연합 감리교회에서 있었다. 

여선교회 회원 80여명이 모여서 “하나님의 부르심을 입고 모든 것을 협력하여 선을 이루는 여선교회”란 제목을 가지고 김정자 회장님의 사회로 예배 부름이 시작됐고 홍진호 목사(중앙 교회)의 “자기 부인 & 자기 십자가”( 누가복음 9:18-27) 설교 말씀과 더불어 최은혜 목사 (Glenview UMC) 집례로 성만찬이 진행됐다.

각 교회의 여선교회 대표들과 연합회 새로 선출된 임원들의 소개가 이뤄졌고 지난 2019년도 연합회 행사를 되돌아보면서 앞으로 다가올  2020년 일정 계획을 나누었다. 시카고 지역의 7개 한인연합감리교회 여선교 회원들이 다들 한자리에 모여서 예배도 드리고 화기애애한 친교도 나누면서 힘을 합쳐서 주님을 사랑하고, 이웃 섬기기를 실천할 수 있는 원동력을 가질 수 있게 되어새해에 큰 기대를 해 본다.
(글: 박성연 권사, 북일리노이 연회 한인여선교회 연합회 부회장, 시카고제일연합감리교회)

Chicago area(Northern Illinoi Conference) Korean United Methodist Women Network gathered together for an annual devotion worship on Feb 20, 2020 at Chicago First Korean UMC. Over 80 members attended the service presided by Jung Ja Kim, newly elected President, summoned by Rev. Jinho Hong (Central UMC) under the title of “Self-denial and Self Cross” and served Holy Communion by Rev. Grace Choi (Glenview UMC). 

Each representative from each church as well as the newly elected officers were introduced. We all watched the PPT presentation on 2019 network’s ministries and shared the new year visions for 2020.  A total of seven Korean UMC’s in the Chicago area gathered to have a service followed by a well-served fellowship to build up a stronger network of bonding together to live out our love for God and reach out to our community above and beyond.

(Written by Joy Park, Vice President of N Illinois Conference KUMw Network, FKUMC)

logo 남가주 연회 한인여선교회 연합회 신년하례예배

2020년도 신년하례예배를 마치고..
우리말에는 "덕분에" 라는 말이 있습니다. 그 말속엔 사랑과 은혜 그리고 감사가 들어 있다고 합니다. 여선교회 신년하례예배를 드리고 뒤를 돌아보니 모든 것이 "덕분에" 라는 말이 마음에 와닿았습니다.
하나님 덕분에, 남가주 총여선교회원들 덕분에, 언약교회 담임목사님과 더불어 여선교회원들 덕분에...그래서 이분들 덕분에 이모든 것을 감당할수 있었던 것같습니다.

처음 행사의 내용을 듣고 잘 감당할수 있을까 가슴이 먹먹했었습니다. 그러나 하나님께서 주시는 능력을 믿고 의지하며 한번 멋지게 해보자하는 마음을 가지게 되었습니다. 역시 하나님께서는 저에게 감당할 수있는 능력을 주셨고 건강까지 주셔서 해낼수 있었습니다.

시장을 보느라 일주일에 4일을 LA 도매시장을 초토화시키고 좋은 고기를 받기 위해서 하루를 외박하고 꽃장식을 위해서 새벽시장을 누비며 꽃을 선택하고...이렇게 분주한 일주일을 보냈습니다. 하루는 피곤이 쌓여 몸살끼가 있었는데 그때 하나님께 기도했죠."하나님!  아시죠... 저 몸살날 시간이 없는거...오늘밤에 치유해주세요."라고 기도했답니다.

다음날 하나님께서 멋지게 치유해 주셨고 오히려 감기와 독감이 유행하는 시기에 더 건강에 축복을 주셨습니다.
언약교회에서 오랜만에 많은 분들을 모시는 관계로 긴장도 많이 했답니다. 모든 여선교회 회원이 참석하셔서 김치를 담그고 전을 부치고 여러가지 음식을 준비하면서 어쩌면 일들을 이렇게 잘하고 솜씨도 좋은지 한분한분이 귀하고 자랑스러웠습니다. 그 많은 일들을 하면서도 기쁨의 웃음소리가 어쩜 그리 아름다운지요.

어려서 친정어머니께서 어린 딸을 앉혀 놓고 이런 이야기를 자주 하셨습니다. "여자가 건강해야 가정이 온전하고 잘된다고..그렇기때문에 여자는 좋은것 맛난것 많이 먹고 건강해야한다."고 말씀하셨습니다. 이제 50대중반을 넘어 생각해보니 너무도 지혜로운 말씀이셨습니다.
교회안에도 여러 부서가 있지만 여선교회가 건강하고 튼튼해야 교회가 부흥하고 단단해진다고 생각하고 여선교회 역할을 찾으면 찾을수록 끝도없이 나올꺼라 또한  생각합니다.
저는 이번 신년하례예배 행사를 통해 여러가지 면에서 저희 여선교회가 단합할수 있는 밑거름이 되었다는 것이 무엇보다 감사드리고 이 모든 것이 하나님의 사랑과 은혜임을 고백합니다.
"하나님 덕분에..."

(글: 정지운 집사, 남가주 연회 한인여선교회 연합회, 언약교회)

2020 New Year Service

We have a Korean word of attribution meaning “thanks to.”
The word contains love, grace, and thankfulness.
Reflecting back after the KUMw Network New Year Service, this word came into mind.
Thanks to God, thanks to Cal-Pacific Conference KUMw members, thanks to the senior pastor of Covenant Church and all our KUMw members…
I was able to do it all thanks to all these people.
I was overwhelmed at first upon hearing the content of the event.
But I believed and trusted in the strength that God would give me and hence was committed to putting it all into the event. Indeed, God did give me the strength to do it and also the health to go through it all.
I rummaged through LA wholesale 4 days in a week for groceries, spent a night out to get good quality meat, and shopped for flowers early in the morning for the floral decorations…
A busy week passed by.
One day when I wasn’t feeling well, exhausted and worn out from the fatigue, I prayed to God, “Lord! You know I can’t afford to have the time to be sick… Please heal me tonight.”
God recovered me the next day and blessed my health even more amid the cold and flu season.
I was anxious to serve a lot of people from the Covenant Church.
All KUMw members attended, made kimchi, jeon and various foods. They were all so great at the work; I felt so touched by and proud for each one of them.
How beautiful the sounds of their joyful laughs while doing all the exhaustive amount of work!
My mother used to always tell me when I was young, “A woman has to be healthy for the family’s well-being. That’s why you should be well-fed and stay healthy.”
These were truly words of wisdom as I think about it in my mid-50s.
There are different departments in the church, but I believe that the UMW must be healthy and strong in order for the church to thrive and stay rooted, as I can think about the endless roles of the UMW in the church.

I am most thankful that this event has served as a stepping stone for KUMw’s Network's unity and cooperation, and attribute all of this to God’s love and grace.
“Thanks be to God!”

(Written by Jiwoon Chung, Cal-Pacific Conference KUMw Network, Covenant UMC)

logo 책 소개

제목: 영적 생활에 유익한 권면
저자: 토마스 아켐퍼스
출판사 : 규장

토마스 아 켐피스는 독일의 사상가이자 아우구스티노 수도회 사제이다. 그는 이 수도원에서  죽을 때까지 살며, 설교와 저술과 필사에 종사하였고 정신적 지도자로서도 뛰어난 활동을 하였다. 천주교에는 <준주성범>이라는 제목으로 알려진 이 책은, 책제목처럼 그리스도를 본받아 사는 삶의 방법을 차근차근히 일러주고 있다.
저자의 “그리스도를 본받아” 의  총 4의 책 , 1부 영적 생활에 유익한 권면, 2부 내면 생활에 유익한 권면, 3부 주님이 주시는 내적 위로, 4부 성찬의 놀라운 신비와 축복이라는 소제목들의 책을 나누어 규장에서 얇은 책을 4권으로 편집을했고 그중에 영적생활의 유익한 권면 이 그 첫번째 책이다.  이 책은 한번에 다 읽기보다는 성경 옆에 두고 꾸준히 묵상해 가면서 읽는 책이다.

“예수 그리스도를 바라보는 자는 그분을 닮아갑니다. 기꺼이 주님의 삶과 가르침을 따르기 원하는 제자들이여, 주님의 장성한 자녀로 그리스도를 향해 마음껏 자라가십시오. 가장 고상하고 유익한 독서는 진정으로 자신을 알고 또 살피는 것입니다. 자신을 아무것도 아닌 존재로 여기고 언제나 다른 사람들을 좋게 여기며 높이 생각하는 것이 큰 지혜이고 완전함입니다.
사랑이 빠진 외형적 행위는 아무 유익이 없습니다. 그러나 무엇이든 사랑으로 하는 일은, 세상의 눈에 아무리 작고 하찮아 보여도, 온전히 열매를 맺습니다. 하나님은 사람이 얼마나 많은 일을 하느냐보다 얼마나 많은 사랑으로 일하느냐를 더 중요하게 여기시기 때문입니다.
다스리려고 하지 말고 섬기기에 힘쓰십시오. 당신은 고난받고 수고하도록 부름받은 것이지, 게으르거나 노닥거리며 시간을 허비하라고 부름받은 것이 아닙니다. 사람은 도가니에 던져질 때 순금인지 아닌지 드러납니다. 하나님의 사랑 때문에 온 마음으로 자신을 낮추지 않는 사람은 도가니를 견디지 못합니다.

지금 자신을 돌보지 않으면 누가 나중에 그대를 돌보겠습니까? 지금 이 순간이 매우 소중합니다. 지금이 구원의 날이고, 지금이 은혜받을 때입니다. 영원히 살기를 구하면서 지금 이 시간을 허비한다면, 얼마나 안타까운 일인가요? 자신을 고치도록 하루, 아니 한 시간이라도 주어지기를 바랄 때가 올 것입니다. 그러나 우리에게 그 시간이 주어지리라고 말할 수 없습니다.” (본문 중에서)
(글: 김매리안 사모, 전국연합회 독서프로그램위원장, 북조지아 연회 한인여선교회 연합회)

Book title: “Helpful Counsels of the Spiritual Life: from the Imitation of Christ”
Author: Thomas a Kempis
Publishing company: Kyujang

Thomas a Kempis was German thinker and Augustinian priest. He spent his life at the Augustinian monastery as a scribe, sermon preacher and author, as well as performed great activities as a religious leader. As revealed in the title, the book describes how to live in imitation of Christ.

Kyujang publishing company published four sections, each from the four teachings from the original book (Book One: Helpful Counsels of the Spiritual Life, Book Two: Directives for the Interior Life, Book Three: On Interior Consolation, Book Four: On the Blessed Sacrament). The recommended book for the month is the first section, Book One. This book is a slow, daily read with meditation alongside the Bible rather than a one-time full read.

“A person who looks toward Jesus Christ becomes like Him.
Disciples who desire to follow Jesus’ life and teachings,
Fully grow toward Him as children of the Lord.
The best and most noble read is to truly know oneself and care for the self. To regard oneself as no one, always highly think of others and treat them with respect is huge wisdom and completeness.
Outward actions without love have no benefits. But things out of love bear complete fruit, no matter how small and petty they may look from a worldly perspective. Because God takes importance in how much love someone puts into one’s act rather than the amount of work getting done.
Do not try to lead, but make best efforts to serve. You are called to suffering and service, not to lazily waste time playing around. Pure gold can tell itself when it is thrown into the crucible. Someone who does not wholeheartedly humble himself/herself out of God’s love cannot withstand the crucible.
If you do not care for yourself now, who will take care of you in the future? Now is the most precious moment. Now is the day of salvation, now is the time for grace. If we waste this time while seeking eternal salvation, how saddening is that? There will come a time when we will desperately want more time to fix oneself for just another day, even for a single hour. But we cannot guarantee that time will be given to us.” (excerpt from the text)

(Written by Marian Kim, Reading Program Coordinator, N Georgia Conference KUMw Network)

logo “함께하면 쉽습니다: $1,000 모금운동

1884, 오하이오 연회 리벤나 지방의 제일연합감리교회의 여선교회 회원이었던 루시디아 볼드윈은 어둠 속에 살던 한국 여성들에게 복음을 전하기 위해 $88을 지정헌금하였습니다. 가족을 잃고 슬픔과 절망에 빠져 있던 볼드윈은 소망을 잃은 한국여성들의 삶에 대한 이야기를 듣고 남편의 재산을 정리하여 헌금하였습니다. 성경의 밀가루 반죽에 넣어진 누룩처럼, 한국여성을 향한 볼드윈의 헌신은 커다란 사랑이 되어 한국에 전해졌습니다.

1885, 한국으로 파송을 받은 감리교 여선교사 매리 스크랜튼은 이 헌금으로 이화학당을 시작하였습니다. 한국여성들이 중심이 되어 절망 뿐인 한국이 소망을 회복할 수 있도록 여성들을 교육하였으며 현재의 이화여자대학교로 발전하여 여전히 영향력 있는 수많은 여성리더를 길러내고 있습니다.

루시디아 볼드윈과 메리 스크랜튼의 선교열매인 우리 한인여선교회 회원들, 한인여선교회는 우리가 받은 사랑을  다시 전하고 있습니다.

1993, 시작된 한인여선교회는 지난 23년간 여선교회원을 세상을 변화시키는 지도자로 양육해 왔으며 2세 여성지도자 양성을 위해서도 힘써왔습니다. 그 결과 여러 여성 목회자, 미국 여선교회 본부 회장 및 이사,  연회 및 지방회 임원 등을 배출해 내었습니다. 또한 국내에서는 전국지도자훈련, 국외에서는 아시아 전도부인 사역을 실시하며 또 다른 선교의 열매를 맺어가고 있습니다.

한인여선교회는 여러분과 함께 또 다른 선교의 열매를 맺어가기를 소망합니다!

2016, 2년마다 실시되는 전국지도자훈련을 통해 한인여선교회 회원과 2세 여성들은 함께 모여 나누고 배우며 이 땅의 빛과 소금이 될 지도자로 성장합니다. 전국지도자훈련을 위해서는 매번 6만불의 비용이 필요합니다. 이 비용은 한인여선교회 회원 한 사람이 2년 동안 $1,000불을 헌금해준다면 가능합니다. 평신도 지도자로 훈련받은 여선교회 회원은, 1884년도의 우리처럼 어둠속에 살고 있는 전세계 여성과 아동, 청소년들에게 희망을 되찾아 주는 제 2의 볼드윈, 메리 스크랜튼이 될 것입니다. 한인여선교회와 함께 우리의 헌신이 커다란 사랑으로 전해지는 선교의 새역사를 써보지 않으시겠습니까?

($,1,000 헌금 방법)

. 매달 $45 또는 1년에 $500을 2년동안 전국연합회에 우편으로 보내시면 됩니다.
. 전국연합회는 501C의 비영리기관으로 가입되어있어서 세금공제를 받으실 수 있습니다.
. Check 발행은 NNKUMW, 주소는 NNKUMW 57-38 Cloverdale Blvd. Oakland Gardens, NY 11364

* 2020년도 후원자 명단; 박연옥 권사(북가주연합회)

후원신청서 다운받기

자세한 문의는 김명래 총무 (mrkim81@gmail.com  /  914-473-7401 )에게 해 주시기 바랍니다.

(글:김명래 전도사, 한인여선교회 전국연합회 총무)

* 2020년부터는 한인여선교회 전국연합회를 위한 선교유산 기금을 후원해 주세요.

“Easier if we do it together: $1,000 fund raising for NNKUMw”

The National Network of the Korean United Methodist Women has held the leadership training every two year since 1993. The last event was held in September in Nashville, Tennessee. The leadership training was made possible by financial support of the Women’s Division and donations from KUMW members. Many leaders who received training are currently working as pastors, officers at the jurisdictional and conference level, and Women’s Division board of directors.  Many young Korean American women also participated in the training event.  

The NNKUMw is a mission fruit of the UMW. Its dramatic growth has a beautiful story behind the faith in action of one UMW unit.  In 1884, Lucidia Baldwin, a member of the Ohio Conference, gave the designated offering of $88.00 to be used to educate Korean women in Korea.   She was having a difficult time after deaths of her husband, daughter and grandson all at the same time when she heard about the plights of Korean women. She sold her husband’s property and gave the offering to the Ohio UMW Conference.  With this offering, the Woman’s Foreign Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church (North) was able to send Mary Scranton as its first woman missionary to Korea and started Ewha School for Girls in 1885. She can be compared with the woman in the Bible who made the bread with yeast and shared it with her neighbors.   We can say we are offspring’s of Mrs. Baldwin’s mission offering, so we owe her the debt of mission.

The members of the NNKUMw are learning, sharing, and growing together with the leadership training.  We are doing our best to bear another mission fruit by the national leadership training and the Bible Women’s Program abroad.   To be able to achieve our goals, the leadership training plays a vital role.

Since 2007, the  NNKUMw had the leadership training event without the support of the UMW National Office.   We need $60,000 for the 2017 national training event.  We need your help. If many members of the NNKUMw donate $1,000 over two years, the training event will be possible.

It is easier if we try together!

We can become another Mrs. Baldwin in spreading the good news of Christ to women, children and youth who are still living in the dark. We ask you to write a new chapter of mission history by enabling the national leadership training to be the tool to develop future leaders for Christ.

(Ways to donate $1,000 mission fund)

2020 $ 1,000 Fund Campaign supporters: Yeon Ok Park (Cal- Nevada Conference KUMw Network)

* Please, support a Legacy Mission Fund for the National Network of Korean-American UMW from 2020.

Monthly donation of $45 or yearly donation of $500 for 2 years
NNKUMw is 501c a non-profit organization registered with government. Your donation is tax deductible.
Send checks “Payable to NNKUMW, NNKUMw 57-38 Cloverdale Blvd., Oakland Gardens, New York 11364
For more information: e-mail to  mrkim81@gmail.com  or call 914- 473- 7401

Copyright © 2008 www.nnkumw.org National Network of Korean-American United Methodist women All rights reserved.
한인여선교회 전국연합회 연락처 : 57-38 Cloverdale Blvd., Oakland Gardens, NY 11364 • 전화 : 914-473-7401 • members@nnkumw.org

발행인: 이성은 회장/김명래 총무/권오연 /한글교정-안영숙/영문교정-배예진/Web Master-김시춘