?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄
전국여선교회연합회 nnkumw.org

logo 줌 환경과 인권세미나

logo 인종정의 세미나를 마치고

"Black Lives Matter" 보스턴 도심을 다니다 보면 교회나 몇몇 장소에 걸린 이 문구를 흔하게 접했지만, 이 짧은 글 속에 담긴 의미를 깊이 생각해 본 적은 없었다. 5월 말 George Floyd의 사건을 접하면서 최근까지 벌어졌던 흑인들의 어이없는 죽음들을 다시 떠올려보게 되었다. 그러다 갑자기 떠올랐던 10여 년 전 직장 동료의 모습, 보스톤 도심에 살던 African American인 그는 밝고 유쾌한 친구였다. 가끔 실없는 소리도 많이 했지만 성실하고 부지런한 동료였다. 겨울 어느 날 자신의 두 남동생이 총에 맞아 죽었다며 2주간 사무실을 비웠고, 그 후에 어두운 모습의 그를 만나게 되었다. 이 일이 떠올려지면서 BLM 의 문제가 그들의 현실이며 나의 친구들의 일이라는 생각이 분명해졌다.

지난 6월 26일에 실시된 김성실 권사님의 "인종 정의"에 대한 세미나를 통해 미국 사회에 뿌리 깊게 박혀 있는 흑인들에 대한 차별, 더 노골적으로 말하자면 흑인 생명에 대한 경시와 폭력의 역사를 보게 하셨다. 당시의 현실을 잘 보여주는 사진들과 역사적 내용을 일목요연하게 정리해 주신 세미나의 내용도 큰 도움을 받았지만, 무엇보다 그동안 억압받고 차별받았던 흑인들을 향한 권사님의 사랑의 마음이 전달 되어서 더욱더 마음에 울림을 주었다. 사회 제도적으로 굳어져 버린 인종차별의 벽은 인종을 넘어서 정의를 추구하는 모든 이들의 하나 된 목소리와 행동으로 변화되어 질 수 있음을 알게 하셨다.

특히 기독교인으로서 깨어 있는 삶을 통해 하나님께서 원하시는 사회 정의의 모습을 추구하며 작게나마 한 걸음을 내디뎌 보기를 소망하게 되었다

(글: 유미선 사모, 뉴잉글랜드 연회 한인여선교회연합회, 성요한 감리교회)

Reflection on the Racial Justice Seminar

I have always seen the “Black Lives Matter” signs everywhere around downtown Boston–in churches and various places, but have never deeply considered the meaning behind this short statement. Hearing the George Floyd incident around the end of May, I looked back at the many innocent deaths among the Black community until recently. I suddenly remembered the face of my colleague at work from ten years ago, a very cheerful and funny African American friend. One winter day, he left his office for two weeks after his younger brother was shot and died. He returned later with a somber face. Recalling this story, I became certain that the BLM is indeed a reality for them, as well as for my friends.

The Racial Justice Seminar led by Susan Kim on June 26th opened my eyes to the deep roots of discrimination–frankly, neglect and violence toward the Black people in American society. Her love for the long-oppressed and discriminated Black lives, along with candid pictures and well-explained historical evidence, greatly resonated inside me. I learned that the socially institutionalized wall of racial discrimination can be broken down and changed through unanimous voices and actions of those who seek justice over race. It is my hope that I could take a small step forward by living an awakened Christian life, pursuing social justice as God desires it to be.

(Written by Misun Yoo, New England Conference KUMw Network, St. John UMC)

logo 한인여선교회 전국연합회 중부,동부지역 임원수련회

‘창의적이고 상호협력하는 친교를 도모하며…’

여선교회 목적문을 수도 없이 낭독해 보았지만, 지금처럼 이 문구가 가슴에 절절하게 와 닿는 것은 처음이다. 지역연합회 임원과 전국연합회 임원들이 각자의 자리에서 참여하는 줌 임원회, 낯선 환경, 익숙지 않은 컴퓨터 작동법이지만 우리는 만나야 했다. 아니 반드시 친교를 도모해야만 했다. ‘창의적이고 상호협력하는 친교’를 위한 임원 수련회는 이렇게 시작되었다.

우리의 육체뿐만 아니라 우리의 정신까지도 지배하고 있는 코로나 바이러스, 불안과 염려에 사로잡히기 보다는 새로운 시대에 맞춘 방향을 모색하고 탈출구를 향해 발빠르게 움직이어야 한다는 간절함이 이번 임원수련회의 취지다. ‘서로 협력하면 못 할 것이 없다’ 는 강한 메시지가 담긴 개회 예배, 하나님을 전적으로 의지하여 얻을 수 있는 온전함에 대해 생각해 본 성경공부 시간을 통해 일상 속에 내재되어 있는 불안감으로 그리스도의 기쁨과 평온, 사랑과 희망을 거부해온 내 자신을 들여다볼 수 있었다.
여선교회가 있는 존재의 이유에는 선교가 가장 우선이다. 말 그대로 여선교회이다. “지금처럼 모이는 것조차 힘들어 예배드리는 것도 힘든 시기에 어떻게 선교를 할 수 있는가?” “하나님도 이 시국을 이해해 주시겠지”라는 식으로 우리가 선교를 이끌어 가는 주체인 양 떠들어댄다. 하지만 선교는 우리가 아닌 하나님이 주체이시다. 하나님의 선교는 이전도 지금도 달라지지 않았다. 여전히 일하고 계시고 다만 우리에게 동참하라고 말씀하신다. 신뢰하며 기대할 때 이뤄주셨다. 생명을 살리는 마스크 사역을 시작할 때, 우리는 예상치도 못했다. 이 어마어마한 성과를, 그리고 새로운 선교지를 주실 것이라는 것을… 최근의 전국연합회 여선교회의 사역 보고 시간에 눈시울이 뜨거워지며 가슴이 뛰는 것은 비단 나뿐만이 아니었을 듯 싶다. 하나님을 신뢰하는 귀한 시간이 되었다.
우리의 확고한 신념을 드러내기 위해선 연합하여 공동체로 한목소리를 내는 것이 무엇보다 중요하다. 그리고 이러한 공동체 안에는 회칙이 존재하여 한 방향으로 나아갈 수 있도록 규칙을 적용해 나간다. 급격한 변화에 발맞춘 회칙의 변화도 임원 수련회에서 모색하여야 할 중요 과제 중의 하나이다. 교단 안에서의 여러 가지 변화, 그리고 중단된 선교사역을 대체할 선교의 방향 등을 고려하여 여선교회의 목소리를 하나로 통일하는 ‘생각’을 모으는 시간이었다.
‘사도의 가르침을 받아 서로 교제하고 떡을 떼며 오로지 기도하기를 힘쓰라’ (사도행전 2:42) 성도 간의 교제를 뜻하는 원어 코이노니아(koinonia)는 하나님과의 친교도 의미한다. 교회 공동체 안에서 하나님을 누리는 것, 우리 모두를 하나님 앞으로 초대한 코이노니아(koinonia) 자리에 더 많은 사람을 이끌어 내는 노력이 바로 선교이다. “하나님과 친교하기를 원합니다, 당신과 함께”

(글: 이미숙 집사, 한인여선교회 전국연합회 공천위원, 베다니감리교회)

Developing a creative, supportive fellowship…

I’ve read aloud the UMW Purpose Statement countless times, but I can’t think of a time more fitting than now for this phrase to resonate in our hearts. Although having a members’ retreat online via zoom was new and unfamiliar for all of us, we had to meet–and develop fellowship amongst ourselves. That is why our zoom retreat began–in order to maintain a “creative and supportive fellowship.”

With the coronavirus controlling over not only our physical bodies but our minds, the purpose of this zoom retreat was to seek together a new direction going forward in this new age, and take swift action for a breakthrough rather than staying surrounded by fear and anxiety. The opening worship service had a strong theme of “There’s nothing we can’t do if we work together,” and the Bible study session was about reflecting on “Receiving wholeness when we fully depend on God.” I was able to examine my inner self, having been rejecting Christ’s joy, peace, and love due to the anxiety integrated in my daily life.

The purpose of the existence of UMW is first and foremost, a mission. We make arrogant statements such as, “How can we do missions this time when it’s even difficult for us to meet together for worship?” “God will understand, it’s hard times.” It’s as if we are the agents of mission! But the agent of mission is God, not us. God’s mission has never changed, and never will. He is still at work; He is just calling us to participate in it. He fulfilled when we had put our trust and hope in Him. When we had started the “Making Masks to Save Lives Project,” never had we expected to have such astounding accomplishments, as well as getting a new mission field… I know it wasn’t just my eyes filling up with tears and my heart warming and pumping up upon seeing NNKUMw’s recent ministries. These times have been a time for us trusting in our God.

In order to demonstrate our firm beliefs, it is most important for us to unite and to make one voice as one community. And in such a community, certain bylaws exist to guide the group as it applies its regulations in order for the community to move in one direction. Adjusting and adapting our bylaws to the rapid changes today is among the important duties of members. The retreat was a time of collecting and combining our thoughts to make one united voice for NNKUMw, as we considered the various changes in the Church, as well as new approaches for our mission to replace the ministries that have been paused.

“Devote yourselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer” (Acts 2:42). The original Greek term for fellowship, koinonia, also means fellowship with God. Mission is making efforts to experience God from inside the church community and inviting more people to our blessed place of koinonia in God’s presence. “I want to have fellowship with God, alongside YOU.”

(Written by Meesook Lee, Nominating Committee of NNKUMw, N.Georgia)

logo 한인여선교회 전국연합회 서부지역 임원수련회

“너의 행사를 여호와께 맡겨라 - 교육도 줌으로 “

급변하는 시대에 맞추어 2020 한인여선교회 전국연합회 서부지역 임원수련회가 줌으로 진행되었습니다. 남가주 연회와 북가주연회에 거주하는 임원 16명이 함께 모여 4시간 동안 진행된 세미나로 현재 여선교회의 위치를 확인하고 앞으로의 방향을 모색하는 귀한 배움과 은혜의 장이 되었음을 감사드립니다. 특별히 COVID- 19를 사는 우리에게 필요한 것은 현재의 상황을 직시하고 재정비하며 미래의 사역에 연계되도록 준비하는 것입니다. 이에 맞추어 기존의 여선교회 조직과 규칙, 재정과 선교헌금모금, 선교에도 변화가 있어야 함을 예배와 강의, 소그룹 토의를 통하여 집중적으로 협의하는 시간을 가졌습니다.
“아무것도 염려하지 말고 다만 모든 일에 기도와 간구로 너희 구할 것을 감사함으로 하나님께 아뢰라.” 개회 예배 때의 말씀을 시작으로 여선교회의 목적문에 대한 자세한 안내를 받았습니다. “연합감리교회 여선교회는 하나님을 알고, 온전한 인간으로 자유를 체험하며, 창의적이고 상호협력하는 친교를 도모하며, 교회의 세계 선교에 동참함으로 선교에 대한 이해를 넓히는데 있다.” 여성과 아동, 청소년, 소외된 계층에 대한 선교를 중심으로 지난 17년간 진행되어온 역사를 배움으로 우리의 마음 속에 품은 선교의 불씨를 키워나가는 다짐도 하게 되었습니다. 개인적 한계와 모순, 인간적인 상처와 아픔 그리고 온갖 세상적 가치에 연연해하는 제게도 찾아와 주님께서는 쓰임 받는 자가 되어 하나님 나라가 확장되는 통로가 되길 원하시고 합력하여 선을 이루려 하십니다.

연이어 조직과 규칙에 대한 강의에서는 covid 19의 발생으로 계획된 국내외 모임과 이동이 중단되었으며 한인 연합 감리 교회 내의 분열이 내년에 있을 UMC 총회에서 결정된다는 소식을 전해 들었고 여전히 해외 선교는 막혔지만, 주변에서 할 수 있는 새로운 일을 찾아 지경을 넓혀 가고 있음을 알게 되었습니다. 그 예로 ‘방문하는 노인 사역과 아동 사역’, 카카오 채널, drive- through 등 창의적이고 신선한 의견들이 나왔습니다. 특히 세상의 변화에 민첩하게 대처한 ‘생명을 살리는 마스크 만들기’ 프로젝트는 짧은 기간에 이뤄낸 기적 같은 선교의 결실이었습니다.
선교 찬양제, 선교 걷기 등 기존의 행사들이 취소되면서 재정 확보에도 어려움이 많았지만, 지역별로 새로운 모금 활동을 펼쳐 선교 분담금을 메울 수 있었음도 감동이었습니다. 이메일, 카톡, 여성 사이트, 공동 구매 사이트, 요리 안내 등 다양한 경로로 홍보하고 판매한 여선교회원님들의 열정에 절로 고개가 숙여졌습니다. 남가주연회 한인여선교회연합회에서는 곧 다가올 선교 걷기 행사도 소그룹으로 나누어 걷기를 준비하고 있음을 들으며 하나님이 함께하시면 무엇이든 할 수 있음에 감사했습니다. 우리의 생각을 늘 앞서가시는 하나님께서 지금도 쉬지 않고 최전선에서 일하심을 보며 승리하게 하시는 주님께 감사와 영광을 돌리며 폐회 예배를 드렸습니다.

교회가 더욱더 귀하게 여겨지는 요즘입니다. 한쪽이 막히면 또 다른 쪽이 열리듯이 이 시기에는 가족 간의 유대가 깊어지고 시야가 넓어지는 소중한 시간이기도 합니다. 외부의 길은 막혔어도 마음의 보물섬 하나 만들어 주님과 친밀히 소통하게 되고 주님의 일에 더 집중하는 훈련을 하게 됨에 감사합니다. 상대의 티보다는 내 눈의 들보를 먼저 깨닫게 하시고, 내 인생의 걸림돌도 서로에게 필요한 디딤돌이 되어 사랑의 빚진 자답게 주님의 기쁨이 되는 자녀가 되길 원합니다. 오늘도 최전선에서 일하시는 주님의 힘과 능력을 구하며 소소한 기쁨 하나 더 만들어가는 행복한 자로 살아가며, 주님께서 선교의 지경을 넓혀주실 것을 믿고 기도합니다.
선교에 대한 이해를 넓히려면 배우고 익힘이 꼭 필요한 일임을 알기에 교육의 기회가 있을 때 많이 동참하시기를 권면합니다. 백지장도 맞들면 낫다는데 우리 회원님들, 여선교회의 사역에 힘을 보태지 않으시겠어요?

(글: 조종은 권사, 한인여선교회 전국연합회 홍보부장, 산타클라라연합감리교회)

“Commit to the Lord whatever you do––even education through Zoom”

In line with the rapidly changing times, the 2020 NNKUMw Western Network officer Retreat was held on Zoom. A total of 16 members residing in Cal-Pacific and Cal-Nevada Conference KUMw Network gathered together for a 4-hour long conference. We were thankful for a blessed time of checking in and examining our current status, learning, and looking ahead of our future directions. What we especially need in the midst of this COVID-19 is to directly face the current situation, reorganize and prepare it in order to link it to our future ministries. In line with this, we had an intensive discussion on changes that need to occur in the NNKUMw organization and regulations, finance and fund-raising, and missions through worship, lecture, and small group discussion.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Starting with God’s Word at the opening service, we were guided on UMW’s statement of purpose. “We are a community of women whose purpose is to know God, experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ, develop a creative, supportive fellowship, expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.” Also, as we went through our 17-years of history of missions for women, children, youth, and vulnerable groups, we made a commitment to keep growing the members for mission in our hearts. Even when I cling on to my personal limitations and contradictions, hurts and pains, worldly values–the Lord still invites me to be used as a channel to expand His Kingdom, called according to His purpose to work things together for good.

Continued by a lecture on organization and regulations, we were told news about how all planned domestic and international gatherings and movements were suspended due to the COVID-19 outbreak, that the division within the KUMC would be decided at the UMC General Conference next year, and that although overseas missions were still blocked, we are making efforts in expanding our outreach by finding things we could do around us. For example, there were new and creative opinions and platforms such as 'Visiting Senior Citizens Children Ministry, Kakao Channel, drive-through, etc. The “Making Masks that Save Lives Project,” in particular, was indeed a fruitful mission, a miracle made in such a short amount of time.

Despite many difficulties in securing finances due to the cancellation of existing events such as Annual Praise Night, Annual Walk for Mission it was touching that new fundraising activities were carried out in different conference networks to cover the mission funds. I was humbled by the passion and enthusiasm of our KUMW members who promoted and sold through various channels, including e-mail, Kakaotalk, women's websites, joint purchase sites, and cooking guides. Hearing about Cal-Pacific Conference KUMw Network’s plans for the upcoming  ‘Walk for Mission’ in which they’re planning to walk in small groups, I was thankful that anything is possible when God is with us. We concluded the retreat with the ending service, giving thanks and glory to God, who always precedes our thoughts, and who is at work in the frontlines and guiding us to victory.

These days, the church is valued more than ever. Just like how a new door opens up when the other gets closed, it serves as a precious time for families to be more intimate, and for us to broaden our perspectives. Though the outside roads may be blocked, I’m thankful I get to grow a treasure island in my heart, closely communicating with the Lord and training myself to focus more on His works. I desire a child giving Him joy by seeing first the specks in my own eyes, turning my obstacles into stepping stones for others, as an obligated follower of Christ. I pray and believe that the Lord will expand the scope of missions by living joyfully by finding little joy in things, seeking the power and strength of Him who works in the frontlines. In order to broaden your understanding of missions, I encourage you to participate in these opportunities of learning; learning and digesting are vital parts in the process.
Dear beloved members, would you like to play a part in strengthening up our NNKUMw’s ministries?

(Written by Jongeun Cho, Communication Coordinator of NNKUMw, KUMC of Santa Clara Vally)

logo 남가주연회 한인여선교회연합회

*씨뿌리는 여성들

‘샬롬~’
주님 안에서 평안으로 인사를 드립니다!
저는 남가주 연회 한인여선교회연합회 윌셔연합감리교회 여선교회 변경희 권사입니다.
올 초 캘리포니아의 이른 봄에 기운을 맞아 고운 한복을 차려입고 주님께 감사의 첫 예배를 드린 지 엊그제 같은데.. 어느덧 선선한 바람이 불기까지 그리운 얼굴을 보지 못한 아쉬움으로 가을을 맞았습니다. 풍성한 열매를 맺는 기쁨이 있는 계절에 많은 행사를 하지 못하는 상황에도 주님의 뜻을 구하며 영상으로 남가주 연회 한인여선교회연합회 ‘신구임원 수련회’를 준비하며 모두의 마음에 하나님의 선교 사명이 식지 않고, 여전히 이어지도록 한자리에 모이게 하심에 주님께 감사를 드렸습니다!
이번 ‘남가주 연회 한인여선교회연합회 신구 임원 수련회’를 통해서 뿌려진 선교의 씨앗들을 듣고, 보는 귀한 시간 가운데 저를 남가주 연회 한인여선교회연합회 임원으로 봉사하게 하신 주님께 다시 한번 감사한 시간을 가졌습니다! 또한, 20년 전 저를 연합감리교회로 이끄신 과정과 그 공동체 안에서 여선교회 일원으로, 남가주 연회 한인여선교회연합회 임원으로 지금까지 4년이 넘는 시간을 섬기며, 함께 선교에 참여하게 하셨던 모든 것이 ‘하나님의 은혜’ 임을 고백하는 시간을 가졌습니다.
그리고, 처음 임원이 되었을 때, 거룩한 부담을 느껴서 나의 부족함으로 주님의 사역에 도움이 되지 못하면 어쩌나 하는 연약함이 있었던 때가 떠올랐습니다. 그러나 한인여선교회 선배님들의 한결같은 배려와 격려로 나의 부족함을사랑으로 덮어가며 채워 주셨고, 무엇보다 주님 안에서의 리더십을 가르쳐 주심으로 이제 저도 처음 임원이 되시는 누군가를 격려하고 돕는 동역자로 세워주시며, 함께 선교의 열매를 맺을 수 있도록 지금까지 인도해 주셨습니다! 남가주 연회 한인 여선교연합회의 ‘신구 임원 수련회’는 예배와 기도와 찬양을 시작으로 고문 목사님이신 구진모 목사님께서 ‘충성된 종’의 대한 말씀을 전해주셨고, 이어서 전국연합회 김명래 총무님을 통해서 ‘한인 여선교회 전국연합회와 지역연합회의 연대성과 관계’ 그리고 해외 선교를 인도해 주신 하나님의 선교 여정과 연합감리교회 여성들이 선교의 부름에 응답하여 선교의 열매를 어떻게 맺었는지를 역사적으로 배우는 귀한 시간을 가졌습니다.
한영은 남가주 연회 한인 코디네이터가 보내주신 ‘씨뿌리는 여성들’ 단막극의 내용을 통해 1869년 3월 비바람이 치던 어느 밤, 보스턴의 한 감리교회에서 8명의 여성이 모여 해외 선교에 대한 강한 부르심으로 하나님께 먼저 기도를 드렸고, 조직을 구성하여 선교금을 모았습니다. 그리고 자신들의 몸에 걸친 의복까지 그동안 풍요했던 삶의 흔적들을 벗어가며 어려운 영혼을 위해 헌신한 감리교회 여성들의 선교 역사를 들으며 신분과 상황이 하나님의 계획 안에서는 어떤 장애도 되지 않는다는 도전을 받았습니다. 그리고 1869년 첫 해외 선교지인 인도에 교육과 의료선교를 위해서 2명의 여자 선교사를 파송하여 소외되고 억압받는 여성들을 위한 학교와 아시아 최초의 여성병원을 세웠고, 지금까지도 ‘복음의 씨앗’을 심는 감리교 여선교회를 통해 하나님의 사랑이 이어지게 하심을 감사드립니다.
무엇보다 더욱 감사한 것은 그 은혜의 ‘복음의 씨앗’을 1885년에 이름도 알려지지 않았던 한국에 뿌려지게 하시고, 첫 여선교사를 보내셔서 학교, 병원, 교회들을 세우게 하시고, 주님의 말씀을 전파하게 하심을 감사드립니다. 그 씨앗들이 자라서 또 다른 복음의 씨앗들이 되어 세상에 그 씨들을 뿌리는 여성들로 세워주셨고, 미국의 이민자로 오게 하셔서 한인연합감리교회 여선교회를 통해서 오늘 저에게까지 이르러 개인의 믿음을 갖게 하심을 알게 해 주셨습니다. 돌이켜 보면, 저에게도 처음 누군가 그리스도를 전하며 제 마음에 아주 작은 겨자씨 같은 ‘복음의 씨앗’ 하나를 떨구었기에 오랜 시간이 흐른 뒤에 오늘에 저로 성장하여 쓰임 받게 하셨습니다.
평범한 여성으로, 한 가정의 아내와 엄마로, 소리없이 예배에만 만족했던 나의 삶에 흐려진 소명과 사명으로 살아온 그리스도인의 정체성을 남가주연회 한인여선교회연합회 임원수련회로 인해 선명하게 들여다보게 하고 깨닫게 해 주신 순간이었습니다.
남가주 연회 한인여선교회연합회의 ‘신구 임원수련회’를 처음부터 끝까지 인도하시고, 줌을 통해서 서로 은혜와 도전을 받게 해 주시고, 신구 임원 모두가 서로를 위해 기도로 축복할 수 있는 귀한 자리가 되게 하심을 주님께 감사를 드립니다.
늘 순종하며, 충성된 종의 모습과 믿음으로 신분과 직분과 상황에 마음을 두지않고, 교회와 지역과 세상을 주님의 이름으로 품는 여선교회 회원으로서 선교의 사명을 위해 달려가는 ‘남가주 연회 한인여선교회연합회’ 임원과 회원들을 기도로 축복합니다!
‘여호와 로이~’
‘충성되고 지혜 있는 종이 되어 주인에게 그 집 사람들을 맡아 때를 따라 양식을 나눠 줄 자가 누 구냐 주인이 올 때에 그 종이 이렇게 하는 것을 보면 그 종이 복이 있으리로다.’
<마태복음 24:45~51>

(글: 변경희 권사, 남가주 연합회 회계, 윌셔 연합감리교회,)

Women Sowing Seeds

Shalom! Greetings in the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ! I am KyungHee Byun from Cal-Pacific Conference KUMw Network, Wilshire United Methodist Church. It feels just like yesterday when I thanked the Lord for a new year at my first worship service of 2020 dressed up in colorful Hanbok in the early spring of California. Cool autumn winds have already come, without having seen our dearly missed faces.

Despite not being able to host many events in this season of abundance, we gave glory to the Lord through video for gathering us together and keeping our calling for missions lighted up as we began preparing for Cal-Pacific Conference KUMw Network Incoming & Past Executive Members’ Retreat.

Through this retreat, I had a time of once again thanking God for allowing me to serve as an executive member of Cal-Pacific Conference KUMw Network. It was a time of confessing that all things–starting from when God first led me to UMC 20 years ago, then throughout the 4 years of serving as a UMW member and executive member of Cal-Pacific Conference KUMw Network, participating in missions together–were by His grace.

I was reminded of the time when I had first become an executive member, feeling a sense of holy burden on my shoulders, worrying about not being helpful to God’s ministry due to my weaknesses. Nevertheless, God has guided me until now from start to end–along with my KUMW seniors filling up for my weaknesses with their constant patience, encouragement and love, teaching me leadership in Christ–to the point where now I’m able to build up and assist new & incoming executive members, bearing fruits of mission together.

Cal-Pacific Conference KUMw Network Incoming & Past Executive Members’ Retreat started off with worship, prayer and praise, followed by Rev. JinMo Ko’s sermon on "Faithful Servant," and NNKUMw Executive Director MyungRae Kim’s lecture on ‘the Association & Relationship of NNKUMw and Conference Networks.’ We were able to learn the historical roots of God’s guidance over the journey of overseas missions, and of how the women of UMC have obeyed to their calling to mission and bore fruit in their ministries.

Cal-Pacific Annual Conference Korean Coordinator, YoungEun Han, sent us the story of a short play titled “Women Sowing Seeds.” It talked about 8 women who prayed in response to a strong calling for overseas missions, planned an organization and collected mission funds, during one stormy night in March of 1869. Hearing their story of sacrifice–giving up their abundant past and dedicating everything for the needy souls–I was inspired and reminded that ‘our positions and circumstances never serve as obstacles under God’s master plan.’ And in 1869, they sent 2 women missionaries to India for education and medical ministry, where they founded a school for underprivileged and oppressed women as well as the first women hospital in Asia. I thank God for His continued love shown through UMW’s ministries of planting the ‘seeds of the gospel.’

More than anything else, I thank God for His grace, letting those ‘seeds of the gospel’ be sown in Korea back when it was still an unknown country in 1885, sending the first female missionary to establish schools, hospitals, and churches, and spreading His Word throughout the nation. The seeds grew as seeds of the gospel, raising women leaders sowing the seeds all around the world. And through the immigrants who came to the United States, those seeds were sowed in KUMW, leading up to my faith today. Looking back, it was because of that one person who shared Christ to me and sowed a tiny mustard seed of the gospel within me, that I have grown to be myself today, used for God’s Kingdom. This moment of realization during the retreat shed light on my calling, as someone who has been satisfied with worship services, living as an ordinary woman, a wife and a mother of a family. It revealed clear to me my identity as a Christian.

I thank God for leading the “Cal-Nevada Conference KUMw Network Incoming & Past Executive Members Retreat” from beginning to end, allowing us to be blessed and inspired by each other, and making it a blessed time for all incoming & past executives to bless and pray for one another.

My blessings and prayers go to our Cal-Nevada Conference KUMw Network executives and members–for their loyal and faithful servanthood, not lingering on status, position, nor circumstances, but running towards the call to mission as UMW members serving the church, community, and the world in the name of Christ.

Jehovah Rohi!

“A faithful, sensible servant is one to whom the master can give the responsibility of managing his other household servants and feeding them” (Matthew 24:45-51).

(Written by KyungHee Byun, Cal-Pacific Conference KUMw Network, Wilshire UMC)

logo 북가주연회 한인여선교회연합회

2020년 바자회를 마치고…

생각지도 못했던 covid-19 펜데믹은 북가주 연회 한인여선교회연합회의 모든 활동을 중지시키는 결과를 가져왔습니다.
대면 예배도 못 드리고 같은 교인들끼리도 만나지 못하는 상황에서 실행위원들은 모든 행사를 취소했고 아무런 대책도 없이 무기력한 시간이 흘러갔습니다. 전국연합회 줌 미팅을 통해서 다른 연합회에서는 여러 방법을 통해서 바자회를 하고 좋은 결과를 얻었다는 보고를 받을 때마다 부러움과 함께 거룩한 부담이 주어졌습니다. 거룩한 부담은 용기를 낼 수 있는 힘이 되었습니다. 하나님을 바라보고 용기를 내어 앞으로 나갈때 넘치도록 채워주시는 하나님의 능력을 깊이 체험하였습니다.
바자회 광고와 돈을 걷고 물건을 나누어주는 일이 비대면 예배가 진행되고 있는 현실에서는 쉬운 일이 아닙니다.
그러나 우리 여선교회는 어떠한 상황에 처해있든지 선교의 사명을 가지고 나아 갔습니다. 서로를 위로하고 기도하며 협력하여 한가지 목표를 가지고 최선을 다했습니다. 어려운 가운데서도 11교회가 참여하였으며 각 교회 회장님들의 열심과 기도가 연합되어서 우리가 계획한 전국연합회 분담금을 채우고도 넘치도록 채워주셨습니다. 이 일로 부족한 금액을 헌금으로 채워주신 북가주 연회에 속한 전국연합회 임원들과 북가주 연회 한인여선교회연합회 실행위원들에게 진심으로 감사를 드립니다.
아무 것도 염려하지 말고 오직 모든 일에 기도와 간구로, 너희 구할 것을 감사함으로 하나님께 아뢰라 그리하면 모든 지각에 뛰어난 하나님의 평강이 그리스도 예수 안에서 너희 마음과 생각을 지키시리라 종말로 형제들아 무엇에든지 참되며 무엇에든지 경건하며 무엇에든지 옳으며 무엇에든지 정결하며 무엇에든지 사랑할만하며 무엇에든지 칭찬할만하며 무슨 덕이 있든지 무슨 기림이 있든지 이것들을 생각하라 (빌립보서 4:6-8 )

(글: 최정희 권사, 북가주연회 한인여선교회연합회회장,버클리열린교회)

Hosting the 2020 Bazaar…

The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a halt of all activities of our Cal-Nevada Conference KUMw Network. Unable to have worship face-to-face and unable to meet one another even amongst church members, the executives had to cancel all the events; and time just helplessly flew by.

Hearing about the successful reports from other conference networks’ bazaar, I felt feelings of both envy as well as a sense of holy responsibility weighing on my shoulders. Such holy responsibility became a force for me to have courage. As I took steps of courage fixing my sight towards Him, I deeply experienced God’s power over me, equipping me with His overflowing strength. At this time when worship services are held online, the act of promoting the bazaar and sharing the goods was surely not an easy task.  Yet, no matter the situation, our KUMw network moved forward with our calling to missions. We did our best, striving for one goal by encouraging, praying, and cooperating with one another.

In spite of all the difficulties, 11 churches participated; and with the united passion and prayers of each church leader, God went beyond filling our planned needs of NNKUMw. I thank you from the bottom of my heart to our NNKUMw officers in Cal-Nevada Conference and members of Cal-Nevada Conference KUMw Network, for giving towards the lacking amount of funds.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things” (Philippians 4:6-8).

(Written by Mickey Choi, President of Cal-Nevada Conference KUMw Network)

logo " 환경과 나" 연재

기후위기

코로나 19로 전 세계는 예상할 수 없는 재난을 맞이했다. 전염성이 강한 코로나바이러스를 막는 것은 타이밍이 중요하다.

2019년 11월 5일, 전 세계 153개국 1만 1258명의 과학자들은 “지구가 기후비상사태”라고 선언했다. 그들은 “이제는 허비할 시간이 없다. 위기는 이미 우리 앞에 도달했고, 과학자들 대부분의 예상보다 빠르고 심각하게 진행되어 인류와 생태계의 운명을 위협하고 있다”고 지적했다. 2020년 1월, 미국 핵과학자회도 “핵 위협과 기후변화 등으로 인류가 최후를 맞게 될 시간(종말)이 자정 100초 전으로 다가왔다”고 발표했다. 기후 위기와 관련 초읽기에 들어갔을 만큼 많이 늦었다는 말이다. 과학자들은 기후 위기로 인한 대재앙을 줄이기 위해 “앞으로 10년이 마지막 기회”라고 역설한다. 2019년 우리는 많은 경험을 했다. 몇 달째 불타는 호주의 산불, 핏빛 하늘과 10억 마리 이상의 야생동물의 떼죽음을 보았다. 그 산불이 기후 위기와 무관하지 않았다.

위기는 현재진행형이다. 지난 40년 사이 10년마다 전 세계 인구는 15.5% 증가한 반면, 산림면적은 49.6%, 아마존 열대우림은 24.3%씩 감소했다. 이산화탄소 배출량은 10면에 17.9%꼴로 증가한 반면, 남극의 빙하면적은 1조2300억 톤씩 감소했다. 화석연료 소비량도 석유 11.9%, 석탄 22.5% 증가 등 여전히 화석연료에 의존하고 있다. 이게 무슨 뜻일까? 쉽게 말하면 이제 지구는 절망할 시간조차 없다는 뜻이다. 진행 중인 위기는 앞으로 한 번도 구경하지 못한 지옥을 경험하게 될 것이라는 뜻이다. 엄청난 규모의 태풍과 홍수, 가뭄, 폭염, 식량난, 전염병 등 재난과 기상이변을 만나게 될 것이고, 그것은 시작에 불과하다는 것이 전문가들의 견해다. ‘기상’이란 하루의 날씨를 뜻하는 단어고, ‘기후’는 30년 주기의 날씨 변화를 뜻한다. 기상이변은 기후변화 때문에 생긴다. 우리 세대가 앞으로 10년 동안 철저한 대책을 마련하지 못하면, 틴데일 기후변화 센터 케빈 앤더슨 교수의 예측처럼 2050년 90억 인구에 이를 인류는 “섭씨 4도 이상 상승할 때 5억 명 정도만 살아남을 것이다”. 우리가 비상조치를 취하지 않으면 우리보다 우리 후손들이 살아남지 못한다는 뜻이다.

2019년 타임지는 올해의 인물로 그레타 툰베리(Greta Thunberg)를 선정했다. 그레타는 2003년 스웨덴에서 태어났다. 2018년 8월부터 기후 위기에 대한 긴급한 대응을 요구하며 등교를 거부하고 스웨덴 의회 앞에서 1인시위를 시작했다. 이는 곧 전 세계적인 청소년 기후 행동을 촉발했다. 제24차 유엔기후변화협약 당사국총회, 다보스포럼,
유럽연합회의등, 이탈리아, 영국, 스페인등에서 기후 위기의 긴급성을 알리는 행동을 하고 있다. 많은 정치인, 기업인들, 언론은 그레타와 아이들의 의견을 무시했다.
“우리가 지금까지의 방식대로 계속 살면 2030년 쯤이면 몇 개의 지구적 ‘터닝포인트’를 지나게 될 것입니다. 그러면 우리는 더 이상 되돌릴 수 없는 기후재앙을 마주하게 될지도 모릅니다”- (그레타의 연설 중에서)
기후변화의 가장 중요한 원인은 대기 중 이산화탄소의 농도다. 대기 중 이 온실가스가 급격하게 증가하고 있는 반면 이산화탄소를 흡수하는 숲은 엄청나게 파괴되어 빙하가 급격하게 줄어들 수밖에 없다. 이 사실은 “인간이 통제할 수 없는 ‘찜통 지구’ 재앙에 이를 수 있다”는 뜻이며 지구의 많은 지역이 거주 불가능한 지역이 된다는 말이다. 약 3,400만 년 전부터 형성된 남극의 빙하와 약 1,000만 년 전부터 형성된 북극의 빙하를 우리 세대가 급속도로 녹아내리도록 하고 있는 것이다. 문제를 해결하기 위해 경제를 “국민 총 생산 성장과 풍요의 추구로부터 지속가능한 생태계와 생필품 우선, 불평등 해소를 목표로 전환해야 한다. 과학자들은 이를 위해 긴급한 요청을 했다. “긴급조치”는 탄소세인상, 화석연료 보조비 삭감, 생태계 보호 등의 조치였다.
2019년 IPCC(기후변화에 관한 정부 간 패널) 보고서를 보면, 이산화탄소 예산(탄소 예산)에 대해 지구 평균온도가 1.5도씨 이상 오르지 못하도록 하기 위해 우리가 앞으로 배출할 수 있는 이산화탄소의 양은 420기가톤이다. 이것은 2018년 1월1일을 기준으로 하고 67%의 확률로 추산한 결과였다. 그러나 2020년 현재로 본다면 훨씬 더 줄어들었다.
해마다 42기가톤의 이산화탄소를 배출하는 현실을 보면, 남아있는 420기가톤의 탄소 예산이 대략 8년 안에 사라질 수 있다. 이것이 현실이다. IPCC를 통해 전 세계가 받아들인 수치였지만 실제는 더 절박하다. 세계기상기구(WMO)는 2018년 대기 중 이산화탄소 평균 농도가 407.8ppm(피피엠)을 기록했다고 발표했다. 이산화탄소가 줄기는커녕 한 해 동안 2.3ppm이 또 증가한 것이다. 이런 사실은 지구의 기후를 다시 안정시키는 과제가 앞으로로 수백 년 동안 총력을 기울여도 쉽지 않은 과제라는 뜻이다. 그러나 지구는 수백 년을 기다려 주지 않는다.

기후 위기는 1980년대에 이미 예고했었다. 그러나 아무도 귀 기울이지 않았다. 기후 침묵을 깨기 위해 21세기에 들어서면서 작은 움직임들이 시작됐다. 2009년 6월에 호주 멜버른에서는 “기후비상사태 시위”를 벌였으며, 2016년 12월 호주의 다레빈 시가 처음“기후 비상사태”를 선포하고 “기후 비상계획”을 통해 정책지침들을 마련했다. 2018년에는 “로마클럽”이 “기후 비상계획”을 발표하여 기후 위기에 대한 최우선 열 가지 조치를 제시했다. 2019년부터는 유럽 각국이 “기후 비상사태를 선포했다. 2020년 1월까지 유럽연합의 25개 국가와 1,250개 지방정부들이 "기후비상사태“를 선포하고 그 대책을 강구하고 있다. 절박하기 때문이다. 지구의 온도가 섭씨 1.5도 상승할 때보다 2도 상승할 경우, 대기오염만으로도 1억 5천만 명이 더 죽게 된다는 것을 인지했다. IPCC 역시 1.5도와 2도 상승의 차이가 수억 명의 목숨을 더 위태롭게 할 것이라고 경고하고 있다.
프란치스코 교황은 기후변화로 우리가 ‘문명의 도전’에 직면했다면서 기회의 창문이 완전히 닫히기 전에 행동해야 한다고 질타했다. 기회의 창문을 다시, 더 크게 열어야 한다. 모든 지옥이 열리기 전에 희망을 만들어야 한다. 1992년 리우 정상회의, 1997년 교토의정서, 2015년 파리협약, 2019년 스페인 마드리드 기후변화 당사국총회(COP25)의 협약을 넘어 새로운 전환을 생각해야 한다. 그래서 그레타 툰베리는 ”우리의 집이 불타고 있다!"라고 목소리를 높여 전 세계에 외치는 것이다.

(글: 박성율 목사, 한국 원주 녹색연합, 작은 촛불교회)

Me and the Environment

Climate Crisis

COVID-19 has struck the entire global community with an unprecedented disaster. In fighting against this highly infectious virus, ‘timing’ is key.
On November 5th 2019, 11,258 scientists from 153 countries declared a warning of “climate emergency,” stating, “There is no time left for us to waste. The state of emergency has already reached right up close, and it’s accelerating much quicker and more serious than anticipated by most scientists–threatening humanity and the ecosystem.” In January 2020, The BAS (Bulletin of Atomic Scientists) released that “The Doomsday Clock now stands 100 seconds from midnight,” signaling that we’re now in a countdown. Scientists also claim that “The next 10 years will be our final chance” to try to lessen the huge disaster resulting from climate change. We’ve seen a lot in 2019: the Australian forest fires, fiery sky, and more than 10 billion wildlife deaths. Those forest fires were never irrelevant to the climate crisis.
The crisis is in progress. Over the past 40 years, the world's population has increased by 15.5% every decade, while the forest area has decreased by 49.6% and the Amazon rainforest by 24.3%. Carbon dioxide emissions rose by 17.9 percent in 10 years, while the Antarctic ice sheet fell by 1.23 trillion tons. The consumption of fossil fuels is still dependent on fossil fuels, with an 11.9 percent increase in oil and a 22.5 percent increase in coal. What does this mean? To put it simply, the earth does not even have the luxury of time to be in despair. The ongoing crisis means we will experience an abyss that we’ve never seen before. Experts predict there will be disasters and weather catastrophes such as typhoons, floods, droughts, heat waves, food shortages and infectious diseases, which are just the beginning. The word ‘weather’ refers to the weather of the day, and 'climate' refers to the changes in weather in a 30-year cycle. Extreme weathers are caused by climate change.
If our generation fails to come up with thorough measures over the next decade, by the time human population reaches 9 billion in 2050, as predicted by Professor Kevin Anderson of the Center for Climate Change in Tindale, "only about 500 million people will survive when it rises above 4 degrees Celsius." This means that if we don't take emergency measures, our descendants will not survive.
In 2019, Time magazine named Greta Tunberg as its Person of the Year. Greta was born in Sweden in 2003. Since August 2018, she refused to go to school and began a one-man demonstration in front of the Swedish parliament, demanding an urgent response to the climate crisis. This soon triggered youth climate action across the globe. At the 24th Conference of Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, Davos Forum, European Union Conference––Italy, UK, Spain, and other countries are making efforts to spread awareness about the urgency of the climate crisis. Many politicians, businessmen and the media ignored Greta and the children's opinions.
"If we continue to live the way we have been, by 2030 we'll be passing a few global ‘turning points.’ Then we may face a climate disaster that is no longer reversible."- (in Greta's speech)
The most important cause of climate change is the concentration of abnormal carbon in the atmosphere. While these greenhouse gases are rapidly increasing in the atmosphere, carbon dioxide-absorbing claws are destroyed, resulting in a dramatic decrease in glaciers. This means "it could lead to a ‘Flaming Hot Earth’ disaster which mankind won’t be able to control" and that many parts of the planet would become uninhabitable. Our generation is causing the Antarctic glaciers–which formed about 34 million years ago and the Arctic glaciers–which formed about 10 million years ago–to rapidly melt. To solve this problem, we must shift the economy from the pursuit of gross national product growth and affluence to the goal of "sustainable ecosystem, only prioritizing daily necessities, and alleviating inequality." Scientists have made an urgent request for this. Such “emergency measures" requested were measures such as carbon tax increases, reduction of fossil fuel subsidies, and protection of ecosystems, etc.
According to the 2019 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report, the amount of carbon dioxide we can emit in the future to prevent the average global temperature from rising by more than 1.5 degrees Celsius is 420 gigatons. This carbon budget was estimated by calculating from January 1, 2018 as the starting point, with 67% probability. But it is now much smaller as of 2020. Given today’s reality, in which we are currently emitting 42 gigatons of carbon dioxide each year, the remaining 420 gigatons of carbon budget could disappear in about eight years. This is the reality. These figures were accepted by the world through IPCC, but in reality, they are more desperate. The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) announced that the average concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere in 2018 was 407.8 ppm (PPM). Carbon dioxide was, in fact, increased by another 2.3 ppm in a single year. This means that the task of re-stabilizing the Earth's climate will not be easy even if we make all-out efforts for hundreds of years to come. But the Earth won’t wait for us for another hundreds of years.
The climate crisis had already been foreseen in the 1980s. But no one had listened. Small movements began in the 21st century to break the silence about the climate. In June 2009, there was a "climate emergency protest" in Melbourne, Australia, and in December 2016, the city of Darebin first declared a "climate emergency" and prepared policy guidelines through a "climate emergency plan." In 2018, the "Roman Club" announced its "climate emergency plan," presenting 10 top priorities for the climate crisis. Since 2019, European countries have declared a "climate emergency." By January 2020, 25 European Union countries and 1,250 local governments have declared a "climate emergency" and are working on countermeasures. Why? Because of desperation. They recognized that air pollution alone would kill 150 million more people if the Earth's temperature rose 2 degrees from 1.5 degrees Celsius. IPCC has also warned that the tiny difference of an increase of 1.5 and 2 degrees Celsius in temperature will further endanger hundreds of millions of lives.
Pope Francis pointed out that, due to climate change we are faced with ‘the challenge of civilization,’ and that we must act before the window of opportunity completely closes before us. We must open up the window of opportunity again, and open it up much wider. We must create hope before all the gates of hell open. We should think of a new transition of thought further beyond the 1992 Rio Summit, 1997 Kyoto Protocol, 2015 Paris Convention, and the 2019 Convention on Climate Change (COP25) in Madrid, Spain. This is why Greta Tunberry is raising her voice to the whole world, shouting, "Our house is on fire!”

(Written by Rev. Seongyool Park, Wonju Green Korea United, Small Candle Church)

logo 책 소개

독서 평가 프로그램에 대하여

여선교회(UMW)에서 여성들을 위한 교육 프로그램 중의 하나가 독서 프로그램이다. 해마다 독서 평가자를 선정해서 권장 도서를 읽게 한 후 리뷰와 평가를 통해 한 해 동안 여선교회 회원들이 읽을 도서를 선정한다.
한인여선교회 전국연합회에서도 해마다 한국어로 번역되거나 한국에서 출판된 책들을 선정하고 15명의 평가자에 통해서 읽은 후에 각자 평가서를 통해 올해의 책 다섯 권을 선정해서 여선교회 본부에 보내면 그 책이 독서 프로그램 목록에 올라가게 된다.
선정되는 5권은 각각 영성, 선교/교육, 사회참여, 공동체 양육 및 지도력 개발이다. 올해에 선정된 책은 내년에 선별 과정을 거쳐 2022년 책 목록에 오르게 된다.
이번 책 선정에 있어서 무엇보다 포스트 코로나 시대를 살아가는 우리들이 성경에서 벗어나지 않는 영성을 가지고 새로운 세상을 맞이해야 하는 시점에서 흔들림없이 올바른 가치관을 가지고 세상을 바라보았으면 하는 마음에 숙고하게 되었다.
특별히 사회참여 부분에서는 인종 차별이라는 이슈에 중점을 두었고 인종차별의 기원이라 할 자본주의와 민족주의에 대해서 좀 더 공부하고자 하는데 의미를 두었다. 선교 부문은 코로나로 인해 모든 것이 멈춰있는 시간에 우리가 더 생각하고 공부해야 할 선교적 과제들을 제시해 보았으며 지도력개발과 공동체 양육에는 올해에 새로 출판된 책들을 중심으로 엮어보았다.

새로운 세계가 다가오는데도 과거의 풍습과 관습에 젖어 상황이 바뀐 것에 당황하기보다 새로운 세계관을 가지고 우리의 무기인 오래 쌓아온 숙련된 영성을 사용한다면 반드시 우리는 새 술은 새 부대에 담으라는 말씀을 실천할 것으로 믿는다. 나 자신을 설득하지 못하면 우리는 그 어느 누구도 교육시키지 못한다.
독서 프로그램은 바로 나 자신을 설득시키고 교육을 시켜서 새로운 세상을 설레임으로 맞이하고 생각지 못했던 새로운 난관을 용기로 이겨내는 면역을 키워줄 것으로 믿는다.

(글: 김매리안 사모, 한인여선교회 전국연합회 독서프로그램위원장, 북조지아 연회 한인여선교회연합회)

2022 Reading Program - List of Korean Titles

영적 성장 (Spiritual Growth)

선교교육 (Mission Education)

사회참여 (Social Action)

지도력 개발 (Leadership Development)

공동체 양육 (Community Development)

About the Reading Review Program

Among UMW’s education programs for women is the Reading Program. A book reviewer is chosen annually; she is to read the recommended books, and after reviewing and evaluating them, ultimately select ‘books of the year’ for UMW members to read.

NNKUMw also selects books either translated in Korean or published in Korea, which are then read and individually evaluated by 15 reviewers. 5 books are selected as finalists, sent to UMW National office which are posted on the Reading Program List.

The 5 book finalists are selected in each of the five areas: Spirituality, Mission/Education, Social Engagement, Community Training, and Leadership Development.

This year’s reading selection is a result of deliberation and desire for us to be able to incorporate upright values firmly rooted in the Scripture in viewing the world as we face a new realm in this post-COVID age.

Specifically, we’ve put a special emphasis on the issue of racial injustice for the Social Engagement category, in order for us to learn more about the theories of capitalism and nationalism, which can be described as origins of racial discrimination. For the Mission category, we recommended missional objectives that we must study and ponder about during this time in which everything has stopped due to COVID. For the Community Training/Leadership Development category, we compiled new books that were published this year.

As we face a new era, rather than sticking to the old practices and panicking to change, we must plant in ourselves a new worldview and use our mighty weapon: long-matured and mastered spirituality. Then, we can certainly be able to put into practice the Word of God about “pouring new wine into new wineskins” (Matthew 9:17). We cannot educate anyone, unless we first convince our very self.

I believe the Reading Program will help us convince and educate ourselves to develop an immunity strong enough to battle new obstacles with courage and face the new world with excitement.

(Written by Marian Kim, Reading Program Committee Coordinator, N. Georgia Conference KUMw Network)

logo 연합감리교회 구제위원회  위생용 구호품 만들기

연합감리교회 구제위원회(UMCOR)의 사역에 동참하다.

저는 지난 10/8/2020에 연합감리교회 구제위원회(UMCOR)에  100개의 위생용 구호품(Hygiene Kits)을 산타클라라 연합감리교회 여선교회의 재정적 도움을 받아 유타주에 있는 구제위원회 센타로 보냈습니다. 지난 10년간 이 사역을 계속해 오고 있습니다.

UMCOR는 GBGM (감리교 세계 선교부) 산하의 기관으로 미국과 전 세계에 구제사업으로 인류애를 보여주고 있는 기관입니다. 보내는 물품은 자연 재난, 전쟁 또는 분쟁등으로 도움이 필요한 곳에 보내집니다. 전국 한인 여선교회도 유타 주에 있는 UMOCR West 에 가서 도운 적이 있습니다.

위생용품 키트(Kit)하나의 가격은 $12입니다. 포함되는 물품은, 손수건(Wash cloth) 한 장, 빗 하나, 칫솔 하나, 손톱깎이 하나, 비누 한장, 10개의 반창고를 손수건에 싼 후에, 1갤론 사이즈 백(1 gallon plastic)에 넣습니다. 한 위생용품 키트 당 $2 을 동봉합니다. 이것은 치약값과 운송료를 포함합니다.
보낼 주소는UMCOR Depot West 1479 South West Salt Lake City, Utah 84104 입니다.
*자세한 안내는 https://umcmission.org/ 를 참조해 주십시오.

(글: 김옥남 권사, 디크니스, 전국연합회 자문위원)

UMCOR Hygiene Kits

On October 8, 2020, I was able to send 100 Hygiene kits to UMCOR West in Utah with the monetary support from my local church UMW, the Church of Korean United Methodist Church of Santa Clara Valley in San Jose, CA. We have been sending UMCOR Kits every year for the past 10 years.

UMCOR (United Methodist Committee in Relief) is a relief organization under the General Board of Global Ministry (GBGM).  “UMCOR provides humanitarian relief and disaster response in the U.S. and International.  Our efforts are targeted in places where natural disasters, war, or conflict have caused so much damage that communities are unable to recover on their own”.
Their specific programs are health, sanitation, poverty, sustainable agriculture nutrition, and food security. NNKUMw has been there to help out at UMCOR Depot in Utah.

The value of each Hygiene kit is $12.00.  Each kit contains one washcloth, one comb, one adult tooth brush, one bath size soap, one toe nail or finger nail clipper, and 10 adhesive bandages wrapped in one hand towel, all in a 1 gal resealable plastic bag. 
We also enclose $2.00 inside each kit to cover the cost of toothpaste and shipping fee to Sager Brown. The shipping address is UMCOR Depot West 1479 South 700 West Salt Lake City, UT 84104.

For more information, please visit https://umcmission.org/

(Written by Katherine Kim, Deaconess, Advisory Committee of NNKUMw)

logo 두루 알리미 안내

한인연합감리교회 여선교회 전국연합회의 발전을 기원합니다.

연합감리교뉴스와 자료는 비대면 비접촉의 초유의 상황에 발맞추고, 한인 공동체의 목회자 및 평신도와의 적극적이고 활발한 소통을 위해, 그동안 웹사이트와 페이스북에서 만날 수 있었던 연합감리교뉴스와 자료를 전달하는 전자신문 <두루알리미>를 지난 5월 14일부터 한인들을 대상으로 가입 권유 메일과 함께 발송해왔습니다.이제 <두루알리미>는 10월 30일부터 2주에 한 번씩, 정기적으로 구독 신청자에게 발송될 예정입니다.
전자신문인 <두루알리미>는 무료로 구독할 수 있지만, 한국과 미국의 스팸방지법에 따라 이를 구독하고, 배포하기 위해서는 반드시 구독 신청을 해야 합니다.

당신을 위한 전자신문 <두루알리미> 구독 안내

정기구독을 위해서 아래를 클릭하고 신청해주세요.
http://folio.umc.org/DuruAllimi_Subscribe.html

(글: 연합감리교회 공보국 김응선 목사)

Dear Korean UMW!

The world is rapidly shifting towards a non-contact and a non-in-person era due to this unprecedented COVID-19 crisis.

Coping with this situation, the United Methodist News begins distributing the electronic newsletter, <DuruAlimi> for active communication with pastors and lay members of the Korean American community.

<DuruAlimi> will deliver the United Methodist Church’s news and resources. Since May 14, 2020, <DuruAlimi> has been sent out to Koreans, requesting to subscribe. Now <DuruAlimi> is scheduled to be regularly sent out to subscribers every two weeks starting October 30.

United Methodist Communications used to send the monthly magazine <Servants In Ministry>. The publication of <Servant In Ministry> was terminated in November 2017 and began the United Methodist Korean News on May 22, 2018, to publish stories of Korean United Methodist Churches and leaders and the denomination Church electronically, and its news has been posted on the website, www.umnews.org/ko and shared on Korean Church Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/).

However, those without a Facebook account or those having difficulty using the Internet have expressed concerns in receiving and following The United Methodist Church’s news and resources. Having acknowledged such voices, the United Methodist News decided to deliver news and resources directly to the readers and audiences of Korean News, and we are about to start a new ministry of <DuruAlimi>.

You can access the electronic newspaper <DuruAlimi> for free, but you must subscribe to it because of the anti-spam laws in the United States and Korea. Please sign up for our free daily and weekly digests of important news and events in the life of The United Methodist Church. To subscribe to our e-newsletter <DuruAlimi>, please visit http://folio.umc.org/DuruAllimi_Subscribe.html.

(Written: Rev. Tomas Kim, UMC Communication)

logo “함께하면 쉽습니다: $1,000 모금운동

1884, 오하이오 연회 리벤나 지방의 제일연합감리교회의 여선교회 회원이었던 루시디아 볼드윈은 어둠 속에 살던 한국 여성들에게 복음을 전하기 위해 $88을 지정헌금하였습니다. 가족을 잃고 슬픔과 절망에 빠져 있던 볼드윈은 소망을 잃은 한국여성들의 삶에 대한 이야기를 듣고 남편의 재산을 정리하여 헌금하였습니다. 성경의 밀가루 반죽에 넣어진 누룩처럼, 한국여성을 향한 볼드윈의 헌신은 커다란 사랑이 되어 한국에 전해졌습니다.

1885, 한국으로 파송을 받은 감리교 여선교사 매리 스크랜튼은 이 헌금으로 이화학당을 시작하였습니다. 한국여성들이 중심이 되어 절망 뿐인 한국이 소망을 회복할 수 있도록 여성들을 교육하였으며 현재의 이화여자대학교로 발전하여 여전히 영향력 있는 수많은 여성리더를 길러내고 있습니다.

루시디아 볼드윈과 메리 스크랜튼의 선교열매인 우리 한인여선교회 회원들, 한인여선교회는 우리가 받은 사랑을  다시 전하고 있습니다.

1993, 시작된 한인여선교회는 지난 23년간 여선교회원을 세상을 변화시키는 지도자로 양육해 왔으며 2세 여성지도자 양성을 위해서도 힘써왔습니다. 그 결과 여러 여성 목회자, 미국 여선교회 본부 회장 및 이사,  연회 및 지방회 임원 등을 배출해 내었습니다. 또한 국내에서는 전국지도자훈련, 국외에서는 아시아 전도부인 사역을 실시하며 또 다른 선교의 열매를 맺어가고 있습니다.

한인여선교회는 여러분과 함께 또 다른 선교의 열매를 맺어가기를 소망합니다!

2016, 2년마다 실시되는 전국지도자훈련을 통해 한인여선교회 회원과 2세 여성들은 함께 모여 나누고 배우며 이 땅의 빛과 소금이 될 지도자로 성장합니다. 전국지도자훈련을 위해서는 매번 6만불의 비용이 필요합니다. 이 비용은 한인여선교회 회원 한 사람이 2년 동안 $1,000불을 헌금해준다면 가능합니다. 평신도 지도자로 훈련받은 여선교회 회원은, 1884년도의 우리처럼 어둠속에 살고 있는 전세계 여성과 아동, 청소년들에게 희망을 되찾아 주는 제 2의 볼드윈, 메리 스크랜튼이 될 것입니다. 한인여선교회와 함께 우리의 헌신이 커다란 사랑으로 전해지는 선교의 새역사를 써보지 않으시겠습니까?

($,1,000 헌금 방법)

. 매달 $45 또는 1년에 $500을 2년동안 전국연합회에 우편으로 보내시면 됩니다.
. 전국연합회는 501C의 비영리기관으로 가입되어있어서 세금공제를 받으실 수 있습니다.
. Check 발행은 NNKUMW, 주소는 NNKUMW 57-38 Cloverdale Blvd. Oakland Gardens, NY 11364

후원신청서 다운받기

자세한 문의는 김명래 총무 (mrkim81@gmail.com  /  914-473-7401 )에게 해 주시기 바랍니다.

(글:김명래 전도사, 한인여선교회 전국연합회 총무)

* 2020년도 후원자 명단; 박연옥 권사 (북가주연합회, 전국연합회 사회부장), 안지매 권사 (남가주연합회), 김명래 총무 (뉴욕연합회)

“Easier if we do it together: $1,000 fund raising for NNKUMw”

The National Network of the Korean United Methodist Women has held the leadership training every two year since 1993. The last event was held in September in Nashville, Tennessee. The leadership training was made possible by financial support of the Women’s Division and donations from KUMW members. Many leaders who received training are currently working as pastors, officers at the jurisdictional and conference level, and Women’s Division board of directors.  Many young Korean American women also participated in the training event.  

The NNKUMw is a mission fruit of the UMW. Its dramatic growth has a beautiful story behind the faith in action of one UMW unit.  In 1884, Lucidia Baldwin, a member of the Ohio Conference, gave the designated offering of $88.00 to be used to educate Korean women in Korea.   She was having a difficult time after deaths of her husband, daughter and grandson all at the same time when she heard about the plights of Korean women. She sold her husband’s property and gave the offering to the Ohio UMW Conference.  With this offering, the Woman’s Foreign Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church (North) was able to send Mary Scranton as its first woman missionary to Korea and started Ewha School for Girls in 1885. She can be compared with the woman in the Bible who made the bread with yeast and shared it with her neighbors.   We can say we are offspring’s of Mrs. Baldwin’s mission offering, so we owe her the debt of mission.

The members of the NNKUMw are learning, sharing, and growing together with the leadership training.  We are doing our best to bear another mission fruit by the national leadership training and the Bible Women’s Program abroad.   To be able to achieve our goals, the leadership training plays a vital role.

Since 2007, the  NNKUMw had the leadership training event without the support of the UMW National Office.   We need $60,000 for the 2017 national training event.  We need your help. If many members of the NNKUMw donate $1,000 over two years, the training event will be possible.

It is easier if we try together!

We can become another Mrs. Baldwin in spreading the good news of Christ to women, children and youth who are still living in the dark. We ask you to write a new chapter of mission history by enabling the national leadership training to be the tool to develop future leaders for Christ.

(Ways to donate $1,000 mission fund)

2020 $ 1,000 Fund Campaign supporters: Yeon Ok Park (Social Action coordinator for NNKUMw, Cal-Nevada Conference KUMw Network), Janet Ahn (CA), Myungrae Kim Lee (NY Conference Korean UMW Network)

Monthly donation of $45 or yearly donation of $500 for 2 years.

NNKUMw is 501c a non-profit organization registered with government. Your donation is tax deductible.
Send checks “Payable to NNKUMW, NNKUMw 57-38 Cloverdale Blvd., Oakland Gardens, New York 11364
For more information: e-mail to  mrkim81@gmail.com  or call 914- 473- 7401

Copyright © 2008 www.nnkumw.org National Network of Korean-American United Methodist women All rights reserved.
한인여선교회 전국연합회 연락처 : 57-38 Cloverdale Blvd., Oakland Gardens, NY 11364 • 전화 : 914-473-7401 • members@nnkumw.org

발행인: 이성은 회장/김명래 총무/권오연 /한글교정-안영숙/영문번역-배예진/Web Master-김시춘

1. 한인여선교회 전국연합회 뉴스레터 2020년 10월호

Date2020.11.01
    Read More
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31 Next
/ 31