Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄
전국여선교회연합회 nnkumw.org
logo 생명을 살리는 마스크 만들기 운동

logo 뉴잉글랜드 연회 한인여선교회연합회

오직 주님의 인도하심을 따라서 가는 길...

생명을 살리는 마스크 운동이 시작이었습니다. ‘숨이 막히는 상태의 한 영혼’을 생각하며 전국연합회의 마스크 운동에 동참하였습니다. 개인적으로 조금씩 시작하는 움직임이 연합회 차원에서 조직화하면서, 마스크 사역팀이 결정되고 또 마스크와 함께 Heath Care Kit을 만들기 시작했습니다. 바로 곁에 있는 히스패닉 교회 목사님과 연결하여 보급을 시작했고, 한 걸음씩 걸어갈수록 새로운 길들이 열렸습니다. 히스패닉들이 많이 사시는 로렌스의 노숙자와 양로원에 마스크와 위생에 필요한 칫솔, 치약, 비누, 비닐장갑, 그노렐라바, 초코파이 등을 비닐 백에 넣고, 그리고 성경 구절과 전도의 메시지를 함께 넣었습니다. 십자가 그림의 메시지를 받으시는 분들의 심령에 은혜로 다가갈 수 있기를 간절히 기도하였습니다. 마스크 사역을 하다 보니 그 지역 주민들의 생활이 얼마나 어려운지, 기초생활이 불가능하신 분들이 너무나 많음을 알게되서, 한인교회와 연합회 임원들을 통해서 재정적인 지원도 하게 되었습니다.
이 마스크 사역이 보스턴 남쪽에 있는 하이티 이민교회로 연결되었고, 또 그 교회를 소개해 주신 한인 목사님과 사모님의 하버드 스퀘어 노숙자 전도사역으로 연결되었습니다. 노숙자들께 전도 중, 마스크와 Health Care Kit을 받고 감동하시는 분들의 소식을 들으며 더욱 힘을 얻게 되었습니다. 그 후, 멀리 벌몬트의 네팔 이민교회 그리고 매사추세츠주의 캄보디안 이민교회로 생명의 마스크는 흘러갔습니다. 병원과 널싱센터에는 의료용 마스크를 공급해 드렸고, 현재 노숙자 쉼터에 보내드릴 마스크를 준비하고 있습니다.
이 글의 목적은 얼마나 많은 곳에 얼마나 많은 마스크를 드린 것이 아닙니다. 이 마스크 운동을 통해서 우리 자신이 얼마나 변하고, 우리에게 어떤 영향이 일어나고 있는지를 전하고 싶어서입니다.
첫째, 우리는 작은 순종의 시작이 얼마나 큰 일을 일으키는지를 몸으로 체험하고 있습니다. 필요한 자원과 재정이 주님께서 그 누군가를 통해 공급해 주셨습니다. 순종하면 주님께서 인도해 주신다는 것을 배웠습니다.
둘째, 우리 이웃에 얼마나 많은 소수민족이 살고 있고, 그간 우리가 그 이웃을 볼 수 없었음을 깨달았습니다. 이제 한인 이민 사회는 안정된 가운데, 기초생활의 걱정에서는 훨씬 넘어서 삶의 질을 추구하고 있는 시기입니다. 우리 곁에 어려운 이민 초기의 삶을 개척하고 있는 이분들을 우리는 보지 못하고 그저 우리 속에서 안일하게 살고 있었다는 것을 알았습니다.
셋째, 도전을 받고 있습니다. 작은 교회, 또 어려운 환경의 이민자들에게 복음을 전하고, 그들을 돕고자 두 발로 뛰 다니시는 소수인종 교역자님들을 보면서 그분들의 헌신에 감동했습니다. 그리고 하버드 스퀘어에서 노방전도 하시는 여자전도사님을 뵈면서, 영혼 구원에 대해서 너무나 둔해졌고, 또 미국에서 대상이 별로 없다는 핑계를 대고 있던 우리 자신을 보게 되었습니다. 그래서 연합회에서 관심 있는 몇 사람들이 그 전도사님을 통해서 전도 훈련을 받기시작했습니다. 다섯 번의 교육과 함께 실습을 나갈 계획을 하고 있습니다. 옛 선지자들처럼, 지금의 시대에 어쩌면 너무나 촌스러울 수 있는 전도로 우리는 한번 외쳐보고 싶습니다.
넷째, 요즈음 인종차별의 문제로 많은 사람이 거리로 나오고 있습니다. 인권의 문제, 특히 인종의 문제가 더 이상 억압될 수 없는 한계에 이른 듯이 일어난 “The Black Lives Matter” 에 대해 우리 연합회에서는 인종 정의 교육세미나를 통해서 배우고, 또 우리는 무엇을 어떻게 할지 구체적인 방법을 의논하려고 합니다. 더 이상 머리로 생각으로 그치는 신앙생활을 하기에는 우리는 살아서 역사하는 주님의 인도하심을 경험하였습니다. 한 발자국 나갈 때, 주님께서 열어주시는 그 길을 알았기에 인종 정의에 대한 그동안의 무관심과 은연중에 가진 선입견들에 대한 죄를 회개하고, 또 새롭게 주님께서 우리 마음에 부어주시는 소명을 따라서 길을 가보려고 합니다.
다섯째, 이제 우리 삶은 더 이상 미국의 한 자락에서 머무는 한인 이민 사회가 아니라, 다른 여러 민족들과 함께 손을 잡고 하나님 나라를 확장하는 그러한 넓은 세계로 나가야 한다는 열망이 일어나고 있습니다. 해마다의 선교 찬양제도 여러 이민 교회까지 다 같이 합류해서 주님께 찬양을 드릴 수 있으면, 얼마나 주님께서 기뻐하실까.. 하고 꿈을 꾸고 있습니다. 앞으로 어디까지 주님께서 저희를 이끄실지 저희는 모릅니다. 한가지 분명한 것은 주님이 인도하시는 그 자리는 바로 저희의 소명의 자리가 될 것이라는 것입니다.
오직 주의 사랑에 매여, 주님 주신 선한 능력에 이끌려 나가는 우리 모든 여선교 회원들의 발걸음에 주님께서 축복해 주시고 한량없는 은혜를 내려주실 것을 믿으며 이 글을 마칩니다.

(글: 김지영 권사, 뉴잉글랜드 연회 한인여선교회연합회 회장, 북부보스턴교회)

Walking the Path of His Guidance Alone

‘Making Masks that Save Lives’ Project had started, and I joined the National Network of Korean United Methodist women thinking of ‘one breathless soul.’ As an individual project grew bigger and became organized on a network level, a mask-ministry team was set up, and we started to create Health Care Kits along with those masks. As we were able to connect to a nearby Hispanic church pastor and start the distribution, new paths opened up for us as we moved along each step. For the homeless communities in Lawrence with a dominant Hispanic population, we packed masks, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, gloves, granola bars, choco pies…along with Bible verses and messages of evangelism. We earnestly prayed that the cross-painted messages would touch their souls with His grace. Doing the mask ministry made me realize how difficult life is for the residents in those communities and how much people are suffering from being unable to maintain basic living needs. We were able to give them financial support through Korean churches and members of our network.

This mask ministry got connected to a Heiti Immigrant church in Southern Boston, and to another homeless evangelism ministry in Harvard Square served by a Korean pastor and his wife, who had introduced us to the Heiti immigrant church. As I shared the gospel to the homeless, I was strengthened upon hearing that they were touched by our masks and health care kits. Shortly after, the masks were distributed to a Nepali immigrant church up in Vermont, as well as a Cambodian immigrant church in Massachusetts. We distributed medical masks to hospitals and nursing centers, and we’re currently preparing for masks to be sent to homeless shelters.

The purpose of this article is not to describe how many masks went where; rather, it’s to share how this mask project has transformed us, and the effects that this project has been creating among us.

First, we are experiencing firsthand how a small obedience leads to a great work. The Lord provided for us the necessary resources and finances through His appointed people. I learned that God guides us when we obey.

Second, we have realized how many minority communities are amongst our neighborhoods, and how blinded we were despite being so close to them. Our Korean immigrant societies have been living in stability; in fact, we are much beyond worrying about maintaining basic life necessities, able to pursue higher levels of living quality. We realized how we were unable to see these people in their early immigrant stages, where we ourselves had been before. They were living among us, trying to figure out and open up resources to settle in this country.

Third, we have been deeply challenged. We were touched by the sacrifices of those sharing the gospel to immigrants in hardships, running from one place to another to help out racial minorities. And as we saw the women pastor at her street evangelism ministry in Harvard Square, we examined ourselves on how passive and inactive we have been in the matter of saving souls, making excuses that there are not many people in the U.S. to reach out to. Several of us from our network who were interested have started receiving evangelism training from that pastor. We are planning for five training sessions along with field practices. We want to try evangelizing the old way for once, boldly raising our voices like how the ancient prophets had shouted out to their peoples.

Fourth, many crowds are coming out to the streets in regards to this current issue of racism. The “Black Lives Matter” arose, showing that we have reached out limits of tolerating these human rights issues, especially in regard to race. Our network is in plans to learn through a ‘racial justice education seminar’ and discuss how we can act in specific ways. We have experienced the works of our living God through living out our faith, and not just with our thoughts or logic. We know how God opens up the paths when we step forward. Thus, we want to repent for our sins of having been indifferent, and for our underlying prejudiced notions about racial justice. We will walk on the path following after the new calling He gives us.

Fifth and finally, a desire has risen–that our lives as Korean immigrant societies should not just stay within our comfort zones in the U.S., but work together in expanding God’s Kindom with various nations, hand-in-hand. I’m dreaming how God will rejoice over us if we could raise to Him our voices of praise together with many other immigrant churches during our annual mission praise night. We do not know where God will lead us next. But one thing we are certain is that wherever He leads us will be our place of calling.

Believing that the Lord will bless us and shower us with His unending grace upon all of her NNKUMw members each and every step of the way, we will walk on these paths led by His good will and by His love alone.

(Written by Jin J Kim, President of New England Conference KUMw Network, N Boston KUMC)

logo 코로나 바이러스로 빚어진 기적

눈에 보이지 않는 적, 바이러스와 싸우는 세계 제3차대전의 여파가 주민들을 술렁이게 한 것은 2월 말 때쯤이었으나 한국 소식에 밝은 교우들 사이에서는 2월 초부터 화제거리였다. 거의 일 년 전부터 계획되었던 3월 초 남미 여행과 손주들과의 긴 첫 여행을 취소하는 일도 거의 전쟁을 방불케 하였고, 불가피 찾아올 제한된 생활에 저장할 수 있는 음식과 물건들을 서둘러 준비하는 어지러운 상황에 치매로 양로원에 계셨던 어머니께서 4월 초에 하나님의 부르심을 받으셨다.

꼼짝할 수 없는 상황에 전화로 장례절차를 준비하며 외롭게 떠나시게 한 3, 4월은 검푸른 어두움을 내 마음에 드리운 채 날아가 버렸다. 인근 병원에서는 턱없이 모자란 위생 마스크로 시민들에게 수제마스크를 긴급요청하였으나 2년 전 뉴욕에서 이사하며 대거 정리한 가재도구에 재봉틀이 끼어 있어 안타까운 마음만 일고 있었다. 고난주일에 어머니 장례식을 치르고, 내 생일을 맞고, 부활절을 맞으며 코로나바이러스가 순식간에 온 세상을 뒤엎으며 불러온 불안한 환경 속에 생명을 살리는 마스크 만들기에 참여하여 어머니의 부활을 기념하고자 하는 마음을 성령께서 주셨다. 이를 위해 딸은 사립학교 재봉틀을 빌릴 수 있게 주선하여 주었고, 교회 여선교회장에게 동참을 요청하는 동안 병원에는 위생 마스크가 조달되기 시작했고, 김지영 뉴잉글랜드 연회 한인여선교회연합회 회장으로부터 마스크를 만들자는 연락이 왔다. 오랜만의 서투른 재봉질에 기부된 색색 가지 짜투래기 헝겊들을 주고받으며 신속하게 만들어야 하는 거룩한 부담은 가속력을 내게 하였다.

5주 동안 250여 개를 만들었고, 지역사회의 열악한 환경에 사는 라티노 이민자들을 돕기로 했다. 서류 미비로 추방이 두려워 높은 확진율에도 테스트를 포기하고 저임금 필수노동자(essential worker)로 일선에서 일하거나 실직된 많은 식구와 친척들이 좁은 공간에 모여 사는 문화적 이유로 전염확산은 시간문제이다. 생활필수품 조차 늘 모자라는데 무서운 전염병까지 덮쳐 삶의 위기를 맞은 그들에게 우리는 마스크 외에 치약과 칫솔, 비누, 간단한 간식 등도 나누었다. 이 나눔을 통해 감격하여 눈시울이 젖는 이웃들과 갑자기 예고 없이 시작된 바느질 사역에 자원하여 전염병 초기의 두려움을 극복할 수 있었다는 간증은 선교의 상호관계를 다시금 느낄 수 있게 하였다.

페이스북에 마스크를 만드는 내 근황을 알리자 뉴욕연회 여선교회원들도 동참하고 있다는 연락을 주었고, 뉴욕연합회의 권오연 사모는 과테말라 선교지에서도 요청을 받았다고 하였다. 그곳은 나의 새 교회, 성요한 교회의 선교 사역지 중 하나인것을 기억하고 온라인(Zoom) 성경공부반에 도울 것을 요청하니 연세든 이들의 헌금이 모여지고, 젊은 전 여선교회장이 대장으로 나섰고, 7~8명의 바느질 봉사자 등이 나타나 500개 마스크 만들기 운동이 탄생되었다. 재봉틀이 없는 이들은 고무줄과 필터를 주문하고, 다른 타운에 사는 이들에게 주문 혹은 기부된 물건들을 이송하고, 필터를 잘라 넣어 주는 등으로 분담하여 각자 처소에서 봉사하는 선교의 큰 불꽃이, 기적이 조용히 일어나고 있다. 교회 건물은 꼭 닫혔으나 오히려 교회는 활성화되어 계획보다 많은 700여 개의 마스크와 2,000여 개의 일회용 마스크 기부를 만들어 낸 것은 기적이다. 전염병으로 인해 죽음이 우리 모두의 대문 밖에서 서성이는 상황이 되고 보니, 내 모든 시간과 재물과 건강이 하나님의 것임을 새삼 깨달으며 내 모든 것을 더 늦기 전에 모두 돌려 드리고 내 마음을 비우고 싶다.

(글: 김성실 권사, 여선교회 인종정의 헌장지원팀 위원, 성요한교회)

A Miracle Risen from the Coronavirus

It was around the end of February when the coronavirus aftermath resembling WWIII had started to stir commotion among communities; in fact, it had already captured the attention of those who are up-to-date about things happening in Korea since early February. Canceling scheduled flights for a South America trip for early March, as well as canceling a long-planned family trip with our grandchildren all seemed like a disaster. In the midst of such chaos as we rushed to store up food items and necessities in case of emergency, my mother with dementia at a nursing home was called to heaven in early April. So my March and April had vanished just like that, leaving me overwhelmed in a huge dark cloud as I had to arrange the funeral process through the phone and say goodbye to my mother in loneliness. Nearby hospitals in lack of masks were asking for help from citizens for handmade masks, but I could only pity the situation since I had thrown away my sewing machine when I moved from New York two years ago. I went through Passion Week by having my mother’s funeral on Palm Sunday, then my birthday passed by and Easter came. In the midst of such anxious circumstances as the corona-virus suddenly swept the entire world, the Holy Spirit gave me the heart to participate in the Making Masks to Save Lives Project, for me to commemorate my mother’s resurrection. So my daughter arranged for me to borrow a sewing machine from a private school, and while I expressed my will to participate to my church leader, dental masks started to get delivered to the hospitals, and Jiyoung Kim, president of New England KUMw Network contacted me to start making masks. Despite my quite long absence on the sewing machine, the notion of holy responsibility to quickly make the masks out of donated leftover fabric pieces allowed me to move faster. I made over 250 masks in 5 weeks, and I decided to help out the Latino immigrants in nearby impoverished communities. Despite the high positive rates, they give up getting tested and work a as low-income essential worker, with the fear getting deported due to their undocumented status. Moreover, infection is a matter of time since families cram into a house, many with lost jobs. Lacking household necessities had been normal for them even before this, but things have gotten worse due to the scary pandemic. We have been delivering toothpastes, toothbrushes, soap, and simple snacks along with the masks; the tears of thanks we receive and our own testimonies of overcoming the fear during the pandemic’s early course once again reminded me of the mutuality of missions.
When I shared my status of making masks on Facebook, New York KUMw members expressed their participation, and Ohyeun Lee had received a request from Guatemala mission field. Remembering it’s one of the mission locations of my new church, St.John’s Church, I asked for help from my Zoom Bible study group. The elderly came up with offerings, a young previous KUMw unit president volunteered to serve as leader, and 7-8 sewing volunteers appeared, forming a project to make 500 masks. We have organized the duties such as having those without a sewing machine being in charge of ordering strings and filters, ordering or delivering donated goods to those living in towns, and cutting out the filters in the right sizes. The service and sacrifice done taking place at each of our homes are silently giving rise to a big spark of missions, a miracle. Although the church doors may be closed, the church is being more active than before. It’s truly a miracle to have accomplished a donation of 700 masks and 2,000 disposable masks, much more than what we had planned. Seeing how death is crouching near all of our doors due to this pandemic reminds me that my time, wealth, and health all belong to God. I want to be able to give it all back to Him and empty my heart before it’s too late.

(Written By Susan Kim,  Business Manager for New England Conference Mission u, Racial Justice Charter Support Team, St.John KUMC)

logo 뉴저지 연회 한인여선교회연합회

사랑의 꿀 보따리

선교헌금 모금을 위한 외부사역들이 covid -19으로 힘들어진 상황이 되어 저희 뉴저지 연회 한인여선교회 연합회에서는 일찌감치 꿀과 도토리국수 바자를 시작하게 되었습니다. 개체교회 여선교회에서 열심히 힘을 합한 결과로 성공적인 바자를 치르게 되었습니다.
이 사역을 하기 전 어린이를 위한 마스크 사역으로 온 뉴저지 여선교회 회원들이 밤낮으로 재봉틀을 밟으며 어린 생명을 위해 함께 기도하며 천이백 장이 넘는 마스크를 만들고 또 성금을 모은 뒤라서 더 은혜가 충만하여 열의를 다 했습니다.
그러던 중에 요즘 노인 아파트에는 자식들이 부모님을 방문하지 못하고 아파트 문고리에 반찬이나 먹거리를 걸어두고 간다는 소식을 듣고 왠지 가슴 한구석이 쓰라리던 터라 귀하게 구한 오렌지 꿀 180병을 마련하여 예쁘게 커버를 씌우고 사랑의 말씀 편지를 적어 뉴저지 각 교회로 나누게 되었습니다.
포장하며 봉투에 담는 하나하나에 주님의 사랑과 저희 여선교회 회원 모두의 관심과 사랑을 기도로 담아 외롭게 계시는 어르신들께 전해 드렸습니다. 주님의 마음을 전한듯이 기뻤습니다. 늘 수고하시는 목회자님들, 환자로 들끓는 병원의 모든 분들, 실직해서 경제적으로 힘든 가정들.. 주위를 돌아보면 우리가 돕고 관심을 가져야 할 곳이 얼마나 많은지요.
주님께서 저희에게 늘 지혜와 순종의 마음을 주셔서 땅끝까지 또 우리의 이웃에게 그렇게 행할 수 있는 저희 여선교회 모두가 되길 간절히 기도합니다.

(글: 김경미 권사, 대뉴저지 연회 한인여선교회연합회 회장, 베다니교회)

Honey Jars Filled with Love

As mission fundraising ministries have been disabled due to COVID-19, our Greater New Jersey Conference KUMw Network initiated a bazaar selling honey and acorn noodles. With united efforts of our independent church’s KUMw, the bazaar was a great success. Since this was just right after when all of our Greater New Jersey Conference KUMw members had worked day and night to sew over 1,200 masks, raising funds and praying for the young souls, we were able to give our best, full of blessing.

Meanwhile, our hearts acheupon hearing the news that children of those parents living in elderly homes are only able to leave bags of food at their door knob since they can’t visit them. So we prepared 180 jars of hand packaged orange honey and distributed them along with handwritten bible verses to each of our New Jersey churches. As we packaged each jar, we put our care, love and prayers to be delivered to those elderly living in solitude. We were joyful to be able to share the heart of Jesus.

If we look around, there are so many areas we need to help and show our care–pastors always in service, those in medical facilities packed with patients, families in economic hardship due to lost jobs… I earnestly pray for God to always give us hearts of wisdom and obedience, so that all of us KUMw members would be able to reach out to and serve our neighbors till the ends of the earth.

(written by Kyungmi Kim, President of Greater New Jersey Conference KUMw Network, Bethany UMC)

logo 북조지아 연회 한인여선교회연합회

우리의 손과 발이 묶여도...

우리 모두 대망의 2020년을 맞으며 각자 부푼 마음으로 새해를 시작하였습니다. 그러나 새해의 축제 분위기가 사라지기도 전에 우리의 일상은 코로나바이러스로 누구도 상상하지 못했던 변화를 맞아야 했습니다.
제가 소속된 북조지아 연회 아틀란타 라즈웰 지역의 2월 리더쉽미팅에서 한 회장님을 통해 Helping Mamas란 기관을 소개받았습니다. 불과 6년 전에 한 소셜워커에 의해서 세워진 이 기관은 정부의 어떤 보조프로그램에도 포함되어있지 않은 아기들의 기저귀를 엄마들에게 전달해주는 사역을 하고 있었습니다. 기저귀 가격이 만만치 않아서 엄마들은 다른 생필수품 구매를 포기하며 기저귀를 구입해야 하는 어려움을 겪고 있었습니다. 이렇게 기저귀 전달 사역을 시작으로 Helping Mamas는 0세에서 12세 아이들을 위한 아동 물품들을 모아 100여 개의 지역사회기관들을 통해서 엄마들에게 전달하고 있었습니다.
아틀란타 한인교회 40대 여선교회에서는 같은 지역의 어려움을 겪고 있는 젊은 엄마들을 위해 도움의 손길을 전하고 특히 중고등부 아이들과 함께 직접 선교에 동참할 수 있는 기관이 교회에서 불과 10분 거리에 있다는 것을 알고 2020년의 지역선교지로 결정했습니다.
3월부터 정기적으로 이 기관을 방문하여 기저귀를 전달하고 기저귀 재포장 봉사를 아이들과 함께하기로 계획했던 여선교회원들은 코로나바이러스로 인한 재해로 모든 계획을 중단하여야 했습니다.
올해 선교의 기회가 모두 막혔다고 생각하고 각 가정도 여러 가지 어려움에 처했지만 포기하지 않고 다른 방법으로 선교를 진행하고자 노력했습니다. Helping Mamas에 연락하니 마침 유아용품 중 고가인 카시트가 없어서 퇴원을 미루는 산모가 많다는 소식을 듣고 온라인을 통해 카시트 10개를 구매하여 전달하였습니다. 비록 우리의 계획대로 아이들과 함께 선교지를 방문하고 직접 봉사하며 아이들에게 선교 교육의 기회는 놓쳤지만, 때마침 카시티를 기다리는 많은 엄마들에게 예수님의 사랑을 전하는 기회를 놓치지는 않았습니다.
중풍 환자의 네 친구가 앞길이 막혔을 때 지붕을 뚫고 침상을 내렸듯이 우리의 선교에 대한 열정과 사랑은 코로나로 인하여 손과 발이 묶이고 교회의 문이 닫혔더라도 선교의 비전과 계획을 지켜주신 하나님의 은혜에 감사드립니다.

(글: 반혜진 권사, 북조지아 연회 한인여선교회연합회 한인코오디네이터, 아틀란타한인교회)

Though Our Feet and Hands Were Tied
When the new year had commenced for us, I am sure everyone started the year with many hopes and dreams for 2020. But shortly after we celebrated New Year, COVID-19 completely transformed every aspect of our lives.
At the N. GA Conference’s Atlanta-Roswell District Leadership Meeting in early February, one of the local Presidents shared their new mission program with Helping Mamas. A social worker in the community created this non-profit organization after years of assisting mothers who could not afford to purchase items for their newborn children. The additional expenses led to new mothers having to decide either buying diapers or other daily essentials. Currently, there are no government programs that help mothers who cannot even afford to buy diapers–something so essential yet costly. Helping Mamas started receiving donations for diapers and distributed them out to new mothers. From diapers to feminine hygiene products, the agency partners with over 100 other agencies to provide support for young mothers and children from the ages of 0 to 12.
After learning about the agency, I introduced it to a unit of mothers in their 40s at the Korean Church of Atlanta, UMC. They were excited about Helping Mamas because it was less than 10 miles from their church and the agency also welcomed teen volunteers. The teen volunteers worked in their warehouse where they packaged items to distribute to individuals and other community organizations. It was the perfect organization for mothers in their 40s and the youth group to volunteer together.
We were scheduled to start our on-site volunteer work in March but it was cancelled due to COVID-19.
Despite the dire situation, we kept our promise to Helping Mamas. KCAUMC’s UMW asked the agency what they needed the most–which turned out to be car seats, one of the most expensive items for babies and young children. New mothers were not able to get discharged from the hospital because they could not afford car seats. Though we could not visit the agency nor volunteer in-person, with the help of online shopping, we ordered and delivered 10 car seats. The staff at Helping Mamas called our group with excitement to notify us that as soon as the agency had received the order, the car seats were able to be distributed to several new mothers in need.
In the midst of this worldwide pandemic, our feet and hands were tied. However, the virus could not stop us from fulfilling our mission. Just as the four friends lowered the mat carrying their paralyzed friend up from the roof to Jesus, we will always find ways to keep our vision for mission work and to spread the love of Jesus Christ.

(Written by Heajin Ban, N. GA Conference Korean Language Coordinator, KCAUMC)

logo

아틀란타 한인교회 여선교회에서는 지난 3월 코로나 19이 시작되면서부터 지역 사회의 병원과 공동체를 위해 마스크 만들기 프로젝트를 시작했습니다. 처음 이 사역을 시작할 때에는 코로나 바이러스에 걸린 환자들을 돌보고 있는 의료진들이 마스크가 없어 매우 위험한 환경 가운데서 환자들을 돌보고 있다는 소식을 듣고 교회 안에 있는 봉사자들을 모아 마스크를 만들기 시작했습니다. 약 40여명의 봉사자들이 모여 그동안 약 8000여개의 어른 마스크와 450개의 어린이 마스크를 만들어 아틀란타에 있는 코로나 병동이 있는 병원에 도네이션 했고 또 이 지역 상가들과 그곳에서 일하시는 분들에게도 나누어 드렸습니다. 또한 브라질의 아마존에서 선교하시는 선교사님을 통해 1000개의 마스크를 보냈고, 피지 홈네스 사역을 하시는 선교사님께도 보냈습니다. 그리고 아틀란타 한인교회 성도들에게도 마스크를 나눠드렸습니다. 지금은 가을에 제 2차 유행이 발병할 수 있다고 해서 미리미리 조금씩 마스크를 만들어 놓으려고 계속 마스크를 제작하고 있습니다.

(글: 김희란 전도사, 북조지아 연회 한인여선교회연합회, 아틀란타한인교회)

The Korean Church of Atlanta (KCA UMC) KUMw started mask making project for nearby hospitals and community organizations in March when COVID-19 pandemic started.  When we heard that the front line workers, doctors and nurses had shortage of masks, we recruited volunteers from our church to make masks.  We have recruited about 40 women and so far they made about 8,000 adult masks and 450 children’s masks which were distributed among hospitals, stores and their employees in the Atlanta area.
Also 1,000 masks were sent to a missionary in Amazon, Brazil and to a missionary who is working with the homeless in Fiji.  KCA UMW distributed masks to own church families.   Our ladies continue making masks in preparation for the second wave of COVID-19 in fall.

(Written by Heeran Kim, N. Georgia Conference KUMw Network, KCA UMC)

logo 인종차별에 관하여

우리는 왜 다른 이들을 차별하고 배척할까요?

우리가 인종차별이라는 주제에 신경 써야만 하는 이유는 무엇일까요? 답은 사실 간단합니다. 인종차별이라는 사상은 지난 500년간 유럽 국가들이 다른 대륙들을 식민지로 삼아 세계 여러 민족을 지배하고 착취하는데 가장 큰 영향을 미친 요인이기 때문입니다. 유럽의 식민지 개척자들은 라틴아메리카, 아시아, 아프리카의 원주민들을 살해하고 노예화하고 착취하는 것을 정당화했으며, 또한 그들은 북미와 호주에서의 원주민 흑인에 대한 대량학살을 정당화 했다.
이로써 미국 경제의 기반 또한 흑인들을 상대로 한 노예제도와 억압으로 이루어졌습니다. 흑인 노예들의 무상 노동과 흑인 서민들의 강제 노동, 학교와 동네를 지배하는 인종 분리 정책은 국가 성장의 밑바탕이 되었고 흑인들을 미국 경제 체계의 최하위층으로 밀어 넣었습니다. 이러한 불합리한 구성은 오늘날까지 지속되고 있으며, 지금의 사회는 철저한 인종차별적 구조들을 발판 삼아 흑인들을 향해 과도하고 치명적인 타격을 계속해서 입히고 있습니다.
서로를 인정하며 관용하고 동등하게 대우하는 것은 빠르게 변해가는 이 세상에서 함께 공존하려면 없어서는 안 되는 정신입니다. 하지만 사회엔 아직도 배타적인 시선들과 인종차별이 존재하고 있습니다. 아직도 인종, 민족, 성, 종교 등의 이유로 차별당하고 박해당하는 사람들이 많습니다. 이것이 옳지 않음을 모두가 알면서도 아직 해결되지 않고 있습니다.
최근 몇 주간 사회적으로 “Black Lives Matter” 흑인 인권 지지 시위들이 증가했습니다. 조지 플로이드라는 한 흑인 남성이 경찰관에게 죽임을 당한 사건의 소식이 미국 전역에 퍼지면서 시작됐습니다. 왜 “흑인 목숨만 중요하냐?” 모든 목숨이 중요한 것 아니냐?” 고 반문할 수 있습니다. 모든 목숨이 중요하고, 존중받아야 마땅합니다. 하지만 현실은 흑인들이 죽임을 당하고 있다는 것입니다. 흑인들을 상대로 일어나는 미국 경찰의 폭력의 역사에 흑인 부모들은 항상 긴장할 수밖에 없습니다.
지금 미국은 흑인이 경찰에게 죽임당할 확률이 백인보다 3배나 높다고 합니다. 또한 주마다 기록된 흑인 성인 남성 수감 비율은 미국내 전체 통계 26:1, 뉴욕에선 40:1, 매사추세츠 에선 54:1로 상당히 높은 수치입니다. 본래 형사 사법 제도는 여러 정책과 제도로 이루어진 체계로, 한 사람이 그 체계에 접어들게 되면 각종 요인의 영향을 받게 되는데, 그중 인종은 상당한 영향을 끼치기 마련입니다. 처음 체포되는 순간부터 구속, 최종 수감에 이르기까지 그 사람의 배경에 따라 그 과정이 달라지는데, 시스템 속 인종차별로 인한 상당한 불균형이 존재합니다. 이러한 불균형이 각 주 감옥체계마다 지속하는 것은 또 다른 요인으로 설명할 수 있는데, 바로 그들이 사법 체계에 들어오기도 전, 이미 유색인종을 상대로 존재하는 불리한 제도들 때문이라고 할 수 있습니다.
저는 제 직장에서 각자 다른 인생의 길을 걷고 있는 수많은 사람을 만나고 함께 일하곤 합니다. 매번 쉽거나 간단하지 않죠. 어쩔 땐 제가 가지고 있는 선입견으로 그들을 판단했습니다. 제게 똑같은 질문들을 번복하면 짜증이 나기도 했습니다. 오랜 직장 동기가 “그들에게 대화하지 말고, 그들과 대화하라”고 일러주었는데, 작은 조언인 듯하면서도 매일매일 낯선 이들을 마주하면서 그들이 가진 인종에 관한 신념들을 상대하면서 느낀 건, 그 조언이 도움이 되었다는 겁니다.
“Black Lives Matter”는 운동입니다. 흑인들을 향한 인종차별을 끝내자는 정의의 외침이며, 오랜시간 동안 존재해 온 제도적이고 체계적인 인종차별을 폐지하자는 외침입니다. 온 미국인들이 “Black Lives Matter” 운동의 이유를 이해하기 위해 노력한다면, 그리고 인종차별의 존재를 깨닫고 함께 연합하여 모두를 존엄하게, 정의롭게 존중하기 위해 힘을 합친다면 변화는 올 겁니다.
흑인들을 향한 우리의 선입견과 편견을 버리고 그들의 목소리에 귀 기울이며, 함께 손잡고 함께 걸으며 정의로운 사회를 만들어 나갑시다.
“최악의 비극은 악인의 억압과 잔인함이 아닌, 의인들의 고요한 묵인이다”는 마틴 루터 킹 목사님의 말씀처럼, 더 이상 침묵하지 맙시다.
히브리 성경 속 선지자들은 계속해서 정의를 요구하시는 하나님, 억압당하는 자들을 돌보시는 하나님을 계속해서 공표합니다. 예레미야는 하나님께서 정의를 “기뻐하신다”고 외칩니다 (예레미야 9:23-34). 아모스에는 하나님이 백성들에게 “성문에서 정의를 세울지어다”, “공의를 마르지 않는 강 같이 흐르게 할지어다”라고 하심을 기록하고 있습니다. 미가 선지자는 하나님께서 구하시는 것은 “오직 정의를 행하며 인자를 사랑하며 겸손하게 네 하나님과 함께 행하는 것”이라고 선언합니다.
하나님께선 정의를 기뻐하십니다. 인종차별은 조직적이고 구조적인 불평등으로, 정당화해선 안되며 하나님의 뜻을 거스르는 짓입니다.

(글: 박연옥 권사, 한인여선교회전국연합회 사회부장, 북가주 연회 한인여선교회연합회, 버클리한인연합감리교회)

Why is it important to understand the movement of "Black Lives Matter"?
Why do we discriminate against and ostracize other peoples?
Why should we care about the issue of racism?
The reason is actually simple. This is because racism is the ideology that has played the most important role in European countries' domination and exploitation of people from other continents as they have expanded their colonies around the world over the past 500 years. European colonists used to justify killing, enslaving and exploiting indigenous people in Latin America, Asia and Africa. Also, they used justify genocide on indigenous black in North America and Australia.
As a result, the American economic system was also based on the enslavement and oppression of blacks. The free labor of black slaves, the forced labor of black peasants, and the legal separation labor of our schools and our neighborhoods all built our country and pushed black Americans to the bottom of our economic system. These positions are in place today, including the use of organized and structured racism, especially state-approved excessive and deadly force against blacks.
The spirit of acceptability, equality and tolerance has become essential for us to live with others in a changing world. But exclusive views and racial discrimination still exist throughout society. There are still people who are persecuted and treated unfairly for various reasons, including race, ethnicity, gender and religion, and everyone knows it's bad, but it's still unresolved.
The ”Blake Lives Matter” protests have risen in public recent weeks. These protests began with the death of a black man, George Floyd, who was killed in a police crackdown and spread throughout the United States. Some might say, "Why is only Black Lives Matter?" Is that all Lives Matter? “Yes, all lives matter and must be respected. The reality is that black people are now being killed. Black parents are always nervous about the history of American police violence against black people.
In the United States, black people are reportedly 3 times more likely to be killed by police than white people. And the state's average rate of Adult Black Male Imprisonment is 26:1 state average 40:1 in New York; and 54:1 in Massachusetts. The criminal justice system is held together by policies and practices, both formal and informal, which influence the degree to which an individual penetrates the system. At multiple points in the system, race may play a role. Disparities mount as individuals progress through the system, from the initial point of arrest to the final point of imprisonment. Another explanation for persistent racial disparities in state prisons lies in the structural disadvantages that impact people of color long before they encounter the criminal justice system.
I meet many people with different paths of life at work, and I work with them. It is not always easy or simple. Sometimes, I judged them with my prejudice notions. I get frustrated when they ask me the same questions repetitively. An old colleague of mine once reminded me that "talk with people, not at them". That's a little advice. But day by day as I was face to face with strangers, challenging their deeply held beliefs on race, it helped.
The “Blake Lives Matter” is a movement; it’s call for justice to end anti-black racism, and dismantle systemic and structural racism. Changes will come as all Americans struggle to understand what drives the “Black Life Matter” movement, and if racism exists, they should work together to promote dignity, justice and respect for everyone.
Let us abandon our preconceptions and prejudices against the blacks, listening attentively to their voices, holding hands together, and we will walk along the road together, and let's build a just society together.
As Dr. Martin Luther King Jr said, "The ultimate tragedy is not oppression and cruelty by the wicked, but silence by the good." Let’s not silence no more.
The prophets of the Hebrew Bible proclaim consecutively the God who demands justice and the God who cares for the oppressed. Jeremiah says that God is "pleased" by justice (Jeremiah 9:23-24). In Amos, it is recorded that God calls the people "to establish righteousness in the gates" and "to spill justice like water" (Amos 5:15, 5:24). The prophet Mica argues that what God saves is "doing justice, loving the Son of Man, and humbly doing with your God." (Micah 6:8).
God rejoices in justice. Racism is basically unjustified as organizational inequality, and therefore it is against God's will.

(Written by Yeonok Park, Social Action Coordinator of NNKUMw, Cal-Pacific Conference KUMw Network, Berkeley KUMC )
*She works at Alameda County Behavioral Health Care Services. As a Behavioral Health Clinician, she provides counseling services to severe and persistent mental health individuals.

logo 흑인에 대한 인종차별 반대

흑인에 대한 인종차별 반대- “흑인의 삶도 귀하다고 생각합니다.”

나는 한국계 미국인 일세로서 인종 프로필링 및 인종 문제를 항상 피하려고 노력했다. 많은 아시아계 미국인들과 마찬가지로 인종차별에 대한 개인적 감정이나 경험에 대해 말하는 것이 매우 불편하다. 그러나 얼마 전에 이 이미지를 Facebook에서 보았다. (http://ow.ly/WwIcb).
“동료 아시아계 미국인 여러분! 우리의 흑인 형제자매는 우리와 우리 가족이 미국에 살 수 있도록 길을 여는 일에 큰 짐을 지고 있었습니다 (1965년 이민법). 우리는 그들과 함께 인종차별을 없애는 일에 나서야 할 때입니다. 흑인의 삶은 귀합니다; Black Lives matter!!”
한국계 미국인 여성 Anna Sun의 사진이다. 용감한 젊은 한인 여성이 아시아계 미국인들이 흑인 형제자매들과 같이 서서 인권의 부담을 감수하라고 요구한다. 나는 아시아계 미국인과 기독교인으로서의 인종 정의에 대해 더 많이 읽어보고 이해하고 싶었다.
지난 몇 년 동안, 이 미국에서 발생한 모든 인종적 위기 속에서 아시아계 미국인은 피해자나 가해자가 아닌 중립 정당인 것처럼 가장하여 방관자로 남아있을 수 있었다. 그러나 전국의 수천 명의 아시아계 미국인 학생이 반 흑인 인종차별을 선언하고 옹호하고 있다. Columbia College의 중국 학생인 Kelvin Ng는 Columbia Daily Spectator에 “저는 아시아계 미국인입니다. 저는 Black Lives Matter!:흑인의 삶이 귀하다고 생각합니다.”(http://ow.ly/WwIgK).
인종차별, 인종 프로필링, 또한 제도화된 인종차별은 많은 아시아계 미국인들에게 마음을 울리는 일이다. 대부분의 아시아계 미국인은 그것에 대해 이야기하고 싶지 않지만 잊어버리지 않아야 한다.
다음은 반 아시아 인종 차별의 주목할만한 두 가지 예가 있다. 1982년 빈센트 친을 기억하는가? 27세인 친 씨는 머리가 터질 때까지 야구 방망이로 그를 곤경에 빠뜨린 두 명의 백인 자동차 노동자에 의해 살해당했다. 살인자들은 2년간의 집행 유예와 그의 범죄에 대해 $3700의 벌금을 받았고 그들은 살인으로 감옥에서 하루를 보내지 않았다. (http://ow.ly/WwIJ4)
2000년에 간첩 행위로 잘못 고발된 이원호 박사( Dr. Wen Ho Lee) 는 인종차별, 인종 프로필링의 조사 대상이 되었다. FBI 요원의 허위 증언을 바탕으로 이 박사는 59건의 혐의로 기소되었고 독방에 갇혀 있었고 9개월 동안 다리 걸쇠와 체인을 착용해야 했다. 중국계 미국인인 이원호 박사는 사법 시스템과 미국 대중 매체에 의해 유죄인 것으로 재판도 받기 전부터 추정되어 정부기관은 그를 희생양으로 사용하려고 시도했다. (http://ow.ly/WwIMf)
아시아계 미국인과 흑인 미국인은 어떤 비슷한 경험을 가지고 있는가? 1871년의 중국인 학살, 1871 Chinese Massacre 동안 500명 이상의 백인 남성이 차이나타운으로 가서 중국 남성과 여성을 공격하고 강탈하고 살해했다. 총 18명의 중국 이민자들이 폭도들에 의해 비참하게 린칭(lynching) 되어 살해되었으며 미국 역사상 가장 큰 규모의 대량 살상 사건 중 하나가 되었다. 당시 중국인을 린치하는 것은 흔한 일이었다. 1882년 중국인 배척법, Chinese exclusion Act 과 1917년 이민법 (아시아 이민 금지법)은 아시아 인의 미국 이민을 막기 위해 제정되었다. (http://ow.ly/WwImi).
그러나 흑인 민권 운동 Civil Rights Movements 의 노력과 많은 아프리카계 미국인 지도자들의 희생 덕분에 1965년 이민자 민권법 Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965이 통과되어 아시아 배척 시대가 끝나고 한 세대의 아시아 이민자들이 미국에 정착할 수 있는 문을 열었다. (http://ow.ly/WUnaN)
아시아계 미국인 일세로서 나는 과거의 아시아계 미국인과 아프리카계 미국인을 감사히 생각한다. UMW 회원으로서 나는 예수 그리스도의 행동에 따라 “하나님은 모든 사람의 창조주이시며, 모든 사람은 한 가족에 속한 하나님의 자녀”임을 재확인하였다. 나는 그리스도인으로서 요한 일서 2장 9절을 묵상한다. “누가 빛가운데 있다 하면서 그 형제를 미워하는 자는 지금까지 어둠에 있는 자요”
우리가 그리스도 안에서 형제자매들이 되어 우리를 더 가깝게 만들기 위해 주님께서 우리를 다르게 만드신 그 뜻을 존중하며 감사드린다.

(글: 김정자 권사, 북 일리노이연회 한인여선교회연합회 회장, 중앙연합감리교회 )

It is time for us to STAND and BEAR THE BURDEN WITH THEM. #BLACKLIVESMATTER.”

As a first generation Korean American, I have always tried to stay away from racial issues. Like many Asian Americans, I feel very uncomfortable talking about race, especially about my personal feelings or experiences. However, I saw this image on Facebook. (http://ow.ly/WwIcb).

“My Fellow Asian Americans; Our black brothers and sisters bore the burden for us so that most of us and our families would be here (Immigration Act of 1965). It is time for us to STAND and BEAR THE BURDEN WITH THEM. #BLACKLIVESMATTER.”

It was a picture of a Korean American Woman, Anna Sun, who also serves as a campus minister with Intervarsity Christian Fellowship. When a brave young, Korean American woman asks “Asian Americans to stand and bear the burden with Black brothers and sisters… ” I had to stop and think and… do some researching and reading. And I wanted to grow in my understanding of racial justice as an Asian American as well as a Christian.

In the wake of all the racial crises that have occurred in our nation for the past two years, Asian Americans could pretend to be the neutral parties, neither victims nor perpetrators, remaining as mere bystanders. Yet, thousands of Asian American Students across the nation are demonstrating and standing up for anti-Black racism. Kelvin Ng, a Chinese student at the Columbia College wrote on the Columbia Daily Spectator “I am Asian-American. I believe that Black lives matter,”(http://ow.ly/WwIgK).

Racial discrimination, racial profiling and institutionalized racism hit home to many Asian Americans. Although most Asian Americans don’t want to talk about it, it is NOT forgotten and must not be forgotten.

Here are just two notable examples of anti-Asian racism:

Remember Vincent Chin in 1982? Mr. Chin, just 27 years old, was killed by two white autoworkers that bludgeoned him with baseball bats until his head cracked open. The killers received 2 years of probation and a $3700 fine for his crime. They did not serve a single day in prison for the killing. (http://ow.ly/WwIJ4)

Dr. Wen Ho Lee, who was wrongfully accused of espionage in 2000, was a victim of racial profiling. Based on the false testimony of an FBI agent, Dr. Lee was charged with 59 counts of mishandling classified information, was kept in solitary confinement, and forced to wear leg shackles and chains for nine months. Dr. Wen Ho Lee, a Chinese American, was presumed to be guilty by the criminal justice system as well as by the US mass media, with the government agency’s efforts to use him as a scapegoat. (http://ow.ly/WwIMf)

What experiences do Asian Americans and Black Americans have in common?
During the Chinese massacre of 1871, over 500 white men went to Chinatown to attack, rob, and murder Chinese men and women. A total of 18 Chinese immigrants were killed & Lynched by the mob, making it one of the largest incidents of mass lynching in American history. Yes, lynching of Chinese was common back then. The Chinese Exclusion act of 1882 and Immigration Act of 1917 that is also known as Asiatic Barred Zone Act were instituted to prevent Asians’ immigration to the US. (http://ow.ly/WwImi). Asian Americans were victims of discrimination and harassment.

And thanks to the efforts of the Civil Rights Movement and the sacrifice of many African American leaders, the Immigration and Nationality Act passed in 1965, ending the era of Asian exclusion and opening the door for a generation of Asian immigrants to settle in the US, including my family and I.
(http://ow.ly/WUnaN)

As a first generation Asian American, I need to look back at the Asian Americans and African Americans of the past with gratitude. As a member of UMW, I must follow the deed of Jesus Christ to reaffirm that “God is the creator of all people and all are God’s children in one family.” As a Christian, I am reminded of 1 John 2:9 “Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness.”

My prayer for us is that our appreciation and respect for the ways the Lord has created us–each unique from another–would bring us closer as brothers and sisters in Christ.

(Written by Jung J. Kim, President of N Illinois Conference KUMw Network, Central Korean UMC)

logo 선교학교 안내

온라인 선교학교 (Zoom Mission u)

코로나바이러스 19의 영향으로 매년 여름 실시하던 선교학교(Mission u)가 강사선정과 교재 발행등이 끝난 상황에서 취소되었다는 안타까운 소식이 4월 말 전해졌다. 그동안 우리 여선교회 회원들에게 선교학교는 선교에 대한 이해를 넓히는 귀한 배움의 장이며 아시아 기독여성훈련에서도 사용되는 중요한 교육 시간이었다. 올해 계획되었던 각 지역의 행사들이 사회적 거리 두기에 따라 취소되며 아쉬움을 가지고 의논하던 중 지역 연합회들이 자발적으로 선교학교를 온라인으로라도 해보자는 안건이 올라왔고 전국연합회에서 적극적으로 협력하여 온라인 선교학교를 하게 되었다. 전국연합회에서는 Zoom 으로 선교학교가 가능하도록 기술적인 도움과 필요를 제공하기로 했다. 이번 선교학교의 주제는 “불안한 세상에서 평화를 찾기”로 영성공부를 하게 된다.

현재 지역별 선교학교 일정은

뉴잉글랜드 연회 한인여선교회연합회 7월 25일 (토)

뉴욕 연회 한인여선교회연합회/북조지아 연회 한인여선교회연합회 7월 31일(금), 8월 1일(토) 2일

대뉴저지 연회 한인여선교회연합회 7월 26일 (주일)

북일리노이 연회 한인여선교회연합회 8월 1일(토)

교재 구입은 www.umwmissionresources.org 로 들어가서 '불안한 세상에서 평화를 찾기' 한국어교재 $10을 주문하면 된다. 배송기간을 고려해서 미리 주문하는 것이 좋다.
이 외에서 전국연합회에서는 온라인을 이용한 지역별 세미나, 한인 코디네이터와 지역연합회 회장을 위한 여선교회 재가입 (UMW Renew or Charting) 훈련세미나 (UMW National office) 등도 계획 중에 있다.
코로나바이러스로 예배와 여선교회 사역들이 취소되고 위축되는 시기에도 하나님은 여선교회를 통해 새로운 방식으로 배우고 끊임없이 선교하는 일을 하라고 부르신다. 자세한 안내는 각 지역 연합회 회장님들께 문의하기 바란다.

(편집부)

Virtual Mission u

Due to the impact of COVID-19, we received sad news that our annual summer Mission u had to be canceled despite all the pre-arrangements regarding study leader and textbooks, etc. Mission u has served as a vital place of learning and expanding our understanding of missions, as well as an important time of education for Asian Bible Women training. As various events in each network planned for this year continued to get canceled due to social distancing measures, a suggestion arose from local networks to make the Mission u happen via online. With NNKUMw’s active cooperation, it was decided that this year’s Mission u will be held virtually. NNKUMw decided to provide the platform and technician for the event to happen on Zoom.

The theme of this upcoming Mission u is: “Finding Peace in an Anxious World.”
Currently, the agenda for each network is as follows:
New England Conference KUMw Network: 7/25 (Sat)
Greater New Jersey Conference KUMw Network: 7/26 (Sun)
New York Conference KUMw Network /N. Georgia Conference KUMw Network: 7/31 (Fri) - 8/1(Sat)
N. Illinois Conference KUMw Network: 8/1 (Sat)

The textbook ‘Finding Peace in an Anxious World.’ ($10, Korean) can be purchased online on: www.umwmissionresources.org. Early order is suggested, considering the shipment process.

NNKUMw is also in plans to arrange virtual seminars for local networks, UMW Renewal or Charting, UMW National Office, etc.

During this time when services and ministries are being cancelled and limited, God invites and calls us to keep learning through new ways and continue our missions.

For further information, please contact your conference KUMw network officers.

(Editorial)

logo 요한 웨슬리의 "절박한 거룩함"

코로나 바이러스19로 3개월이라는 시간을 보냈다. 그 시간 동안 교회에 가지 못하고 줌(Zoom Meeting)으로 예배를 드리고 성경 공부를 하는 것이 우리의 평범한 영적 생활이 되었다. 그동안 코로나 바이러스로 인해 영적으로 깨달은 것을 개인의 영적 훈련 시간으로 실천하여 깊은 영성을 가진 신앙인이 되는 것에 도전해 보자.

너희는 삼가 말씀하신 이를 거역하지 말라.” (히브리서 12:25)

좁은 문으로 들어가기를 힘쓰십시오거룩한 두려움을 갖고 신음하며 좁은 문으로 들어가도록 노력하십시오. 그렇게 하면, 그분의 안식에 들어가게 된다는 약속이 주어졌습니다. (마7:13-14)

조금이라도 당신이 말씀에서 벗어난 삶을 살지 않도록 힘쓰십시오.
말할 수 없는 탄식으로, 간절히 온 마음을 다하여 열정을 가지고 나아가십시오. 쉬지 말고 기도하면서 노력하십시오. 언제 어디서나 당신의 마음을 하나님께 올려 드리십시오. 시편 기자처럼 “깰 때 주의 형상으로” 깨어나고 주님 한 분만으로 만족하기까지 “그로 쉬지 못하시게” 하십시오.
결론은 이것입니다. 좁은 문으로 들어가기를 힘쓰십시오영혼의 고통과 확신, 슬픔과 수치, 갈망과 두려움이 있을때 쉼 없이 기도하며 힘쓰십시오. 마찬가지로 당신이 하는 모든 대화와 삶 전체를 정돈하고, 온 힘을 쏟아 하나님이 가르치신 모든 길, 곧 순전함과 경건과 자비의 길로 걸어가며 힘쓰십시오. 악은 어떤 모양이라도 피하십시오모든 사람에게 가능한 모든 선을 베프십시오. 무슨 일을 하든지 자신의 뜻을 부인하고, 날마다 자기 십자가를 지십시오.
거룩한 삶을 방해할 가능성이 있는 것은 무엇이든가차 없이 차단하고 던져버리십시오자신이 소유한 모든 것과 친구를 잃고, 건강을 잃으며, 세상에 있는 모든 것을 잃게 되어 고통을 받게 되더라도 기꺼이 그렇게 하십시오. 그러면 천국을 소유하게 될 것입니다.
(편집: 김명래 총무, 한인여선교회 전국연합회)

(본 기사는 ‘시대를 바꾼 요한 웨슬리의 기도’ 존 웨슬리 지음, 강선규 옮김의 책에서 인용, 편집하였다)

John Wesley’s “Imminent Holiness”
3 months have passed under COVID-19. The “new normal” for our spiritual life has become getting on Zoom for virtual worship service and Bible study sessions. Let us challenge ourselves to strive for spiritual depth by putting into practice the spiritual lessons we have learned through this pandemic.

“See to it that you do not refuse him who speaks” (Hebrews 12:25).
Strive to enter through the narrow gates. Make efforts to enter through the narrow gates with suffering and holy fear of the Lord. By doing so, God promises us that we will enter His rest (Hebrews 4:9-11). Do your best not to stray from God’s Word, even a little bit. In groans that words cannot express, fully march forward with passion and a desperate heart. Do not cease praying and do your best. Give your heart to God wherever you are at all times. Like the words of the Psalmist, “give him no rest” until you “awake in His likeness,” “satisfied with Him alone.”

The conclusion is this: strive to enter through the narrow gates. With affliction and certainty of the soul, sadness and humiliation, desperation and fear, exert yourself to pray without ceasing. Also, tidy up your entire life and all your conversations, exert all strength into walking the path God has taught us, the path of purity, holiness, and mercy. Avoid evil of any means.

Show the fullest possible mercy to everyone. In whatever you do, deny your own will and carry your cross each day. Ruthlessly block and abandon anything that has the slightest possibility of being an obstacle to your life of holiness. Whether that might mean suffering and losing all your possessions, friends, health, or everything in this life, gladly do so. Only then, yours will be the kingdom of heaven.

(Edited by Myungrae Kim Lee, Executive director, NNKUMw)

*The following article is an edit of an excerpt from “How to Pray: the Best of John Wesley on Prayer” by John Wesley, translated by SeonKyu Kang.

logo 책 소개

차이를 뛰어넘는 그리스도인

홍종락 | 출판사 : 도서출판 두란노

나와 다른 그라운드를 가진 세상 속에서 ‘함께’를 고민하다
온 세상이 소란한 소식으로 가득한 이때 그리스도인들이 세상의 수많은 차이를 뛰어 넘어 지혜롭게 살아가는 법을 제시한다. 원작가인 팀 켈러와 존 이나주 외 여러 명의 저자가 함께 준비하고 참여한 책이다. 목회자 팀 켈러와 법학자 존 이나주는 본인들이 경험이나 다른 이들의 경험을 통해 생각한 내용을 한데 모아 질문에 답하고 겸손과 인내로 세상을 살고자 하는 이들의 노력을 소개한다.. 신학자, 기업가, 송 라이터, 목사, 의료인 기타 여러 사람의 글을 자신의 영역에서 그리스도인으로 신실하게 사는 것에 대한 고민을 담은 이 책은 크고 어떤 때는 고통스러운 차이를 그리스도 안에서 접근하고 관계를 맺는 법을 말해준다. 우리는 이들의 이야기를 통해 복잡하고 편협한 세계에서 감사하고 확신하며 소망을 유지하며 사는 법을 알게 되고, 삶을 살아가는 지혜를 얻고, 깊은 공감과 격려를 얻게 된다.

(글: 김매리안 사모, 전국연합회 독서프로그램위원장, 북조지아 연회 한인여선교회연합회)

Uncommon Ground
Author: Tim Keller, John Inazu Translator: JongRak Hong | Publishing Company: Duranno
Living ‘together’ faithfully in a world of difference.
With chaotic news filling the entire world today, this book points to how Christians can overcome various endless differences and live wisely. This book was written through a joint effort by its original authors, Tim Keller and John Inazu, as well as with other authors. Rev. Tim Keller and legal scholar John Inazu answer vital questions guided by their own experiences and of others, as well as introduce stories of various people who strive to live in this world with humility and patience. Illuminating stories of a range of people such as a theologist, business leader, songwriter, pastor, doctor, and others, the book is about how people strive to live faithfully in each of their life areas, and how we can approach painful differences and develop them into relationships. These sympathetic and encouraging stories will teach us how to keep our hope, thankfulness, and faith in this chaotic, intolerant world as well as guide us into a wise way to live this life.

(Written by Marian Kim, Reading Program Committee Coordinator, N. Georgia Conference KUMw Network)

logo 알립니다

한인여선교회 전국연합회 7월호 뉴스레터는 발행되지 않습니다July 2020 issue will not be published.

logo “함께하면 쉽습니다: $1,000 모금운동

1884, 오하이오 연회 리벤나 지방의 제일연합감리교회의 여선교회 회원이었던 루시디아 볼드윈은 어둠 속에 살던 한국 여성들에게 복음을 전하기 위해 $88을 지정헌금하였습니다. 가족을 잃고 슬픔과 절망에 빠져 있던 볼드윈은 소망을 잃은 한국여성들의 삶에 대한 이야기를 듣고 남편의 재산을 정리하여 헌금하였습니다. 성경의 밀가루 반죽에 넣어진 누룩처럼, 한국여성을 향한 볼드윈의 헌신은 커다란 사랑이 되어 한국에 전해졌습니다.

1885, 한국으로 파송을 받은 감리교 여선교사 매리 스크랜튼은 이 헌금으로 이화학당을 시작하였습니다. 한국여성들이 중심이 되어 절망 뿐인 한국이 소망을 회복할 수 있도록 여성들을 교육하였으며 현재의 이화여자대학교로 발전하여 여전히 영향력 있는 수많은 여성리더를 길러내고 있습니다.

루시디아 볼드윈과 메리 스크랜튼의 선교열매인 우리 한인여선교회 회원들, 한인여선교회는 우리가 받은 사랑을  다시 전하고 있습니다.

1993, 시작된 한인여선교회는 지난 23년간 여선교회원을 세상을 변화시키는 지도자로 양육해 왔으며 2세 여성지도자 양성을 위해서도 힘써왔습니다. 그 결과 여러 여성 목회자, 미국 여선교회 본부 회장 및 이사,  연회 및 지방회 임원 등을 배출해 내었습니다. 또한 국내에서는 전국지도자훈련, 국외에서는 아시아 전도부인 사역을 실시하며 또 다른 선교의 열매를 맺어가고 있습니다.

한인여선교회는 여러분과 함께 또 다른 선교의 열매를 맺어가기를 소망합니다!

2016, 2년마다 실시되는 전국지도자훈련을 통해 한인여선교회 회원과 2세 여성들은 함께 모여 나누고 배우며 이 땅의 빛과 소금이 될 지도자로 성장합니다. 전국지도자훈련을 위해서는 매번 6만불의 비용이 필요합니다. 이 비용은 한인여선교회 회원 한 사람이 2년 동안 $1,000불을 헌금해준다면 가능합니다. 평신도 지도자로 훈련받은 여선교회 회원은, 1884년도의 우리처럼 어둠속에 살고 있는 전세계 여성과 아동, 청소년들에게 희망을 되찾아 주는 제 2의 볼드윈, 메리 스크랜튼이 될 것입니다. 한인여선교회와 함께 우리의 헌신이 커다란 사랑으로 전해지는 선교의 새역사를 써보지 않으시겠습니까?

($,1,000 헌금 방법)

. 매달 $45 또는 1년에 $500을 2년동안 전국연합회에 우편으로 보내시면 됩니다.
. 전국연합회는 501C의 비영리기관으로 가입되어있어서 세금공제를 받으실 수 있습니다.
. Check 발행은 NNKUMW, 주소는 NNKUMW 57-38 Cloverdale Blvd. Oakland Gardens, NY 11364

후원신청서 다운받기

자세한 문의는 김명래 총무 (mrkim81@gmail.com  /  914-473-7401 )에게 해 주시기 바랍니다.

(글:김명래 전도사, 한인여선교회 전국연합회 총무)

* 2020년도 후원자 명단; 박연옥 권사 (북가주연합회, 전국연합회 사회부장), 안지매 권사 (남가주연합회), 김명래 총무 (뉴욕연합회)

“Easier if we do it together: $1,000 fund raising for NNKUMw”

The National Network of the Korean United Methodist Women has held the leadership training every two year since 1993. The last event was held in September in Nashville, Tennessee. The leadership training was made possible by financial support of the Women’s Division and donations from KUMW members. Many leaders who received training are currently working as pastors, officers at the jurisdictional and conference level, and Women’s Division board of directors.  Many young Korean American women also participated in the training event.  

The NNKUMw is a mission fruit of the UMW. Its dramatic growth has a beautiful story behind the faith in action of one UMW unit.  In 1884, Lucidia Baldwin, a member of the Ohio Conference, gave the designated offering of $88.00 to be used to educate Korean women in Korea.   She was having a difficult time after deaths of her husband, daughter and grandson all at the same time when she heard about the plights of Korean women. She sold her husband’s property and gave the offering to the Ohio UMW Conference.  With this offering, the Woman’s Foreign Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church (North) was able to send Mary Scranton as its first woman missionary to Korea and started Ewha School for Girls in 1885. She can be compared with the woman in the Bible who made the bread with yeast and shared it with her neighbors.   We can say we are offspring’s of Mrs. Baldwin’s mission offering, so we owe her the debt of mission.

The members of the NNKUMw are learning, sharing, and growing together with the leadership training.  We are doing our best to bear another mission fruit by the national leadership training and the Bible Women’s Program abroad.   To be able to achieve our goals, the leadership training plays a vital role.

Since 2007, the  NNKUMw had the leadership training event without the support of the UMW National Office.   We need $60,000 for the 2017 national training event.  We need your help. If many members of the NNKUMw donate $1,000 over two years, the training event will be possible.

It is easier if we try together!

We can become another Mrs. Baldwin in spreading the good news of Christ to women, children and youth who are still living in the dark. We ask you to write a new chapter of mission history by enabling the national leadership training to be the tool to develop future leaders for Christ.

(Ways to donate $1,000 mission fund)

2020 $ 1,000 Fund Campaign supporters: Yeon Ok Park (Social Action coordinator for NNKUMw, Cal-Nevada Conference KUMw Network), Janet Ahn (CA), Myungrae Kim Lee (NY Conference Korean UMW Network)

Monthly donation of $45 or yearly donation of $500 for 2 years.

NNKUMw is 501c a non-profit organization registered with government. Your donation is tax deductible.
Send checks “Payable to NNKUMW, NNKUMw 57-38 Cloverdale Blvd., Oakland Gardens, New York 11364
For more information: e-mail to  mrkim81@gmail.com  or call 914- 473- 7401

Copyright © 2008 www.nnkumw.org National Network of Korean-American United Methodist women All rights reserved.
한인여선교회 전국연합회 연락처 : 57-38 Cloverdale Blvd., Oakland Gardens, NY 11364 • 전화 : 914-473-7401 • members@nnkumw.org

발행인: 이성은 회장/김명래 총무/권오연 /한글교정-안영숙/영문번역-배예진/Web Master-김시춘

Articles

1 2 3 4 5