메뉴 건너뛰기

같은 마음 · 같은 열정 · 같은 비전
선교를 위하여

전국연합회 임원 수련회

웹마스터 2020.03.09 14:07 조회 수 : 53406

전국연합회 임원 수련회를 마치고

새해를 맞아 1월24일에서 26일까지 뉴욕 후러싱 제일교회에서 한인 여선교회 전국연합회  임원 수련회가 열렸다. 미국 각 지역에서 바쁜 일들, 하던 일들을 다 제쳐두고 이곳으로 달려온 그 힘은 찬양 가사 “주를 향한 우리의 꺼지지 않는 그 노래”처럼 간절하고 뜨거운 주님에 대한 사랑이었을 것이다.

이성은 회장님의 하나님에 대한 신뢰와 순종의 메시지는 가난한 과부의 마지막 기름 한병을 순종의 그릇마다 채우시는 하나님의 놀라운 역사를 보여주셨다. 신뢰하고 순종하는 자에게 임하시는 그 하나님! 우리는 신뢰하는 만큼 순종할 수 있다. 이에 대한 그림이 그다음 날 서커스의 공연에서 다시 한번 확인되었다. 공중그네 묘기에서 날아가는 사람이 힘을 온전히 빼야만 잡아주는 사람이 제대로 잡을 수 있는 것을 보았다. 완전히 힘을 뺀다는 것은 그만큼 신뢰하는 것이리라. 우리는 우리의 약함과 불완전함을 온전히 주님께 맡기고 공중서커스를 하는 것처럼 자유롭게 나를 주님께 드릴 수 있을까?

둘째 날의 이경신 장로님의 약속을 지키시는 신실한 하나님을 장터에서 부르신 일꾼들의 비유에서 배웠다. 이른 시간에 온 사람들이, 같은 보수를 받는 늦은 시간에 온 사람들에 대해  약속을 지키시는 하나님의 처우에 감사할 수 있을 것인가? 하나님의 목적은 일이 아니라 사람을 살리는 것이었다. 세상의 경제관으로는 불공평하지만, 하나님의 기준으로는 공평한 것이었다. 우리의 기준으로 어처구니없는 주님의 불공평한 사랑에 때로는 화가 나고, 불이익을 당한 것처럼 불평하지 않는가? 내가 이웃에게 향한 사랑이 하나님에 대한 사랑의 척도라면 정말 나는 하나님을 제대로 사랑하는지 다시 생각해볼 일이다. 잃은 영혼에 대한 긍휼과 자비가 나는 얼마나 있나를 내내 생각하며 부끄러운 시간이었다. “연탄재 함부로 차지 마라. 너는 누구에게 한 번이라도 뜨거운 사람이었느냐? “ 안도현 시를 외며 모두 다 머리를 끄덕이는 순간을 가졌다.

2박 3일의 기간 동안 매시간 알찬 모임이 준비되어 있었다. 찬양의 은혜와 몸으로 주님을 찬양하는 바디워십으로 또 즐거운 게임으로 바쁜 우리의 맘들을 주님을 향해 활짝 열 수 있었다. 각 연합회의 활동 보고를 들으며, 큰 지역에서의 활발한 섬김과 활동들이 참 자랑스러웠고, 아직 규모가 작은 연합회에서도 여전히 큰 사랑으로 최선을 다하시는 모습들이 참 가슴에 닿았다. 이성옥 부국장님께서 오셔서, 연합감리교회 여선교회가 현 감리교단 상황에서 어떤 자리에 있는지, 또 앞으로의 미션과 비전에 대해서 말씀하시고, 질문에도 대답해 주셨다. 또 존 헤네시가 쓴 “어른은 어떻게 성장하는가”의 책을 미리 읽고 와서 함께 토론하는 시간을 가졌는데, 진정한 리더로서 어떤 자세를 가져야 하는지 많은 도움을 받았다.

또 연합회에서 지원하는 선교지인 몽골, 카자흐스탄의 선교 보고를 들었다. 특히 몽골에서 은퇴하신 김선례 선교사의 이야기는 가슴을 뭉클하게 만들었다.  27년의 세월 동안 러시아, 그리고 대부분 몽골에서 몸과 마음을 다 바쳐, 어린이들과 농아, 노숙자들을 위한 사역을 하시고, 일대일 제자양육, 세미나, 성경 공부, 예배를 통해서 말씀을 전하고 다니신 수많은 발걸음을 상상해보았다. 현재 몸이 종합병원처럼 아프지 않으신 곳이 없이 한국에서 요양 중이시란다. 그러나 몸이 회복되면 다시 한국에 있는 몽골인들을 위해서 사역을 시작하신다고 기다리신다니...  아, 그 끝없는 주를 향한 꺼지지 않는 그 사랑이 가슴 깊이 울려왔다.

김동석 상임이사님께서 입양아 시민권법안을 통과시키기 위해서 뛰어다니시는 그 모습을 보았다. 40살이 된 그 세대의 입양아들이 시민권 없이 한국으로 추방된 후, 그 어느 곳에서도 적응치 못하고 방황하는 부서진 삶의 모습을 들었다. 만약 입양아들의 이 문제가 해결하지 않으면 어떻게 하나님께서 살아계신 것을 믿을 수 있는가 절규하는 한 입양아 어른의 이야기를 들으며 김동석 상임이사님은 하나님의 신뢰하는 편에 섰다. 그들의 슬픔과 고통을 가슴에 안고, 오직 주님을 신뢰하며 대신 그들을 대변하는 자리에 섰다.

그렇다! 우리가 여선교회로 부르심을 받은 것은 진정 주님을 신뢰하고, 주님의 뜻을 따르기로 결단하는 것이다. 주님의 뜻은 주님을 사랑하는 것인데, 그것은 바로 우리 곁에 있는 그리고 어딘가에 하나님께서 마음 아프게 보고 계신 그 대상을 향해 하나님의 마음, 아버지의 마음이 되어 그의 삶의 자리에 함께 서는 것일 것이다.  새로 지역회의 회장이 되어 이 년간 어떻게 감당을 할까 두려움이 컸는데, 이번 전국 임원 수련회를 통해서 주님 앞에 작은 그릇이 되어 내려놓을 때 가득 채우시는 주님을 바라보며 새로운 용기와 소망을 얻었다.

“ 이번 수련회를 위해 준비하시느라 큰 수고를 하신 김명래 총무님, 권오연 이벤트 코디네이터님, 안 보이는 곳에서 애쓰신 뉴욕 연회의 임원님들, 프로그램 순서들을 맡아 정성껏 준비하신 모든 분들.... 그 땀과 수고와 시간으로 인해 저희가 새해를 맞을 은혜와 감동을 맘에 가득 채우고 갑니다. 일 년 후 다시 만나 서로의 주님 사랑 이야기를 나눌 그 시간을 기다리며, 저의 작은 그릇을 소중히 가지고 갑니다. 감사합니다!“

(글: 김지영 권사, 뉴잉글랜드 연회 한인 여선교회 연합회 회장, 북부 보스톤KUMC)

After NNKUMw Officers Retreat

Celebrating the new year, the NNKUMw Officers Retreat was held at the First United Methodist Church in Flushing, NY from January 24-26. Just like the praise song lyrics “the never-ending song for the Lord,” our strong and dedicated love for Christ were the driving forces of coming together from all around the nation amidst our busy lives.

President Grace Pyen’s message on trust and obedience for God was about His amazing work of filling up all the oil jars of the poor widow according to the obedience she showed by giving the final drops. Our God–who works to those who trust and obey! Our obedience comes from trust. This was depicted at the circus acrobatics show on the next day; we saw how the flying trapeze artist must completely loosen up for a proper catch. To be able to completely loosen up must mean that he or she totally trusts the partner. Can I freely surrender myself to the Lord like in acrobatics, surrendering my weaknesses and imperfections?

On the second day, we learned about God’s faithfulness from Kay S. Ree’s bible study about servants being paid for their wages. How could those who had come early be thankful about God keeping the same wages for those who came late? God’s focus was not about the work but saving lives. It was unfair according to the world’s dynamics, but fair according to God’s standards. Don’t we all get frustrated about God’s unfair love and complain about feeling disadvantaged? If my love for my neighbors is a measurement of love for God, I need to think again whether my love for Him is true. The session was a time of shamefully examining my lack of mercy and compassion toward the lost souls. We all nodded in agreement to an excerpt of JongHwan Do’s poem, “Do not mistreat the coal ashes–have you ever burnt yourself so passionately for someone?”

Each time throughout the two nights and three days was prepared with meaningful sessions. We were able to open up our busy hearts wide for God as we praised Him through body worship and played fun games together. As we listened to each network’s ministry report, we were proud of the active service and ministries happening in the big locations, as well as touched by the efforts and great love of all the yet smaller networks. Sung-Ok Lee, Connection Officer, United Methodist Women came and talked about our Unitrd Methodist Women's position in the current situations for the United Methodist Denomination, our future mission and vision, along with a Q&A. We also had a time of discussion on the book “Leading Matters” by John Hennessy, in which we learned a lot about the attitude of a true leader.

We also listened to mission reports on our supporting countries, Mongolia and Kazakhstan. We were especially touched by the story of now retired Mongolia Missionary SunRye Kim. I imagined the countless footsteps of her journey of dedication to Russia and Mongolia for 27 years, ministering to children, deaf people and homeless, and sharing God’s Word through individual discipleship training, seminars, Bible studies, and worship. She is currently in treatment in a hospital in Korea, as she is ill everywhere in her body. Hearing that she is eagerly waiting for recovery to get started on ministering to Mongolians in Korea… her endlessly burning love for Christ deeply resonated within me.

We witnessed Dong Suk Lee(Executive Director, Korean American Grassroot Conference, KAGC)’s tireless efforts to pass the bill about citizenship for people who have been adopted. We heard about a heartbreaking story of a 40 year-old man, adopted while young and then exiled to Korea without citizenship, who was aimlessly wandering and lost, being unable to adapt to neither cultures. Touched by the father’s cry, who was also adopted, desperately asking how can one believe that God lives if his son’s problem was not to be resolved, Dong Suk Lee stood on the side of trusting God, embracing their stories and pain, only trusting God and being their voice.

Yes, we are called to KUMW to truly trust the Lord and dedicate ourselves in following God’s will. God’s will for us is to love Him, which means we take on the Father’s heart to stand alongside those whom He has mercy on. I was worried about my new role as the president of a New England conference KUMw network for the next two years; through this national officers retreat, I obtained new courage and hope as I look toward Christ, who fills me up when I empty myself and surrender to Him.
To MyungRae Lee, Ohyeun Lee, those who served in the New York Network, everyone who got together to pull the event, thanks to your efforts, service and time, we leave with hearts full of blessings and grace for the new year. Looking forward to next year when we can unwrap and share more stories our love for God, I carry my small jar with me. Thank you!

(Written by Jin Kim, President of New England Conference KUMw Network, N Boston KUMC)